You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-09 19:35:07

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

mpd daemon does not start

I have added @mpd in my rc.conf file under the Daemons section. However, my mpd daemon never starts. When I try ncmpc in my terminal i get this

ncmpc
error [15]: problems getting a response from "localhost" on port 6600 : Connection refused

But then when I start the mpd daemon either by issuing

mpd

or

# /etc/rc.d/mpd start

mpd starts up and so does ncmpc.

In fact if I issue a

#/etc/rc.d/mpd restart

the stopping fails and the starting succeeds.

What could be the problem?

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-09 21:59:55)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2008-07-09 20:11:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: mpd daemon does not start

I imagine this is a whole permission mess. I don't run the mpd daemon via rc.conf, because then it runs as root and drops perms (to something like 'nobody'). Instead, I start mpd in my xinitrc, which starts it as my user. Makes more sense that way seeing as how the music is all in my homedir anyway.

#3 2008-07-09 21:14:39

faelar
Website

In the DAEMON OPTIONS section of /etc/mpd.conf :

user                        "mpd"

But if you change this, be sure that mpd have correct rights for things like the .pid file, errors log etc...

#4 2008-07-09 21:31:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

faelar wrote:

In the DAEMON OPTIONS section of /etc/mpd.conf :

user                        "mpd"

But if you change this, be sure that mpd have correct rights for things like the .pid file, errors log etc...

I have changed it in the /etc/mpd.conf to my username and the pid and state files are in my home directory, so I automatically own them.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-09 21:32:57)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2008-07-09 21:59:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:

I imagine this is a whole permission mess. I don't run the mpd daemon via rc.conf, because then it runs as root and drops perms (to something like 'nobody'). Instead, I start mpd in my xinitrc, which starts it as my user. Makes more sense that way seeing as how the music is all in my homedir anyway.

Does it matter what user start the daemon as long as its started and available on the specified port?

Forum Rules

#6 2008-07-09 22:03:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

All my music and playlists folder are on my external drive. Could this be the problem, in that mpd does not start since my external is not mounted when its trying to start?

If this is the problem, how can I make sure that my external will mount at the same location everytime so that mpd can startup?

Forum Rules

#7 2008-07-09 22:33:56

Leigh

Because I don't need mpd started all the time, I prefered just to create a simple mpd-start, and mpd-stop, script. I add them as menu items to make things simple. Actually I like using Moc over mpd, but my roommate likes using mpd, and we share the same account. * But it's really mine and she isn't allowed to go outside the home dir. which I learned to totally back up like almost everyday tongue *

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#8 2008-07-09 22:53:57

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Leigh wrote:

Because I don't need mpd started all the time, I prefered just to create a simple mpd-start, and mpd-stop, script. I add them as menu items to make things simple. Actually I like using Moc over mpd, but my roommate likes using mpd, and we share the same account. * But it's really mine and she isn't allowed to go outside the home dir. which I learned to totally back up like almost everyday tongue *

Well my external drive is connected to this old machine that i have. and I was planning on connecting to the mpd daemon with a different machine...so I thought I'd keep the mpd daemon running so I can simply start the client on my other machine.

how would I connect to the mpd daemon from a different machine?

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-09 22:55:21)

Forum Rules

#9 2008-07-09 23:39:42

Leigh

I have never messed with connecting two machines, so I wouldn't be of much help. I would probably do a lot of googling and experimenting.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#10 2008-07-10 12:31:34

PeteMo
Website

Inxsible wrote:

how would I connect to the mpd daemon from a different machine?

Have a look at the MPD_HOST environment variable, and the -h and -p options to ncmpc.

Board footer