You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-11 22:39:53

pogeymanz

Help me pick a new panel

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a new panel to go with my Openbox setup. Right now I'm using XFCE4-panel, mostly because it required no configuration and I was busy configuring Openbox, conky, the Arch install at the time. Plus, out of the DE's, I like XFCE the best.

Truthfully, xfce4-panel has served me very well and I don't really have any problem with it at all... I just want to fiddle. big_smile

There are three important things I "need" from a panel:
1. A Volume control
2. Desktop preview/pager/switcher thing
3. This one is really trivial and vain. I need the taskbar to not be filled when I only have one or two windows open. For some reason, this really bugs me. The default fluxbox taskbar does that and I hate it. It also looks like PyPanel does it. So, I need a panel that can at least be told to not behave this way.

I do want to try something new, so don't tell me to just stick with what I have, please. If a panel is super-cool, but only meets 2 out of 3 of my requirements, list it anyway.

Make sure to tell me why a particular panel is good!

Thanks. I'll be installing a bunch of panels while waiting for responses!

#2 2008-07-11 22:50:15

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Help me pick a new panel

I think nearly ANY panel will do what you're looking for, except for the volume control which isn't what panels do (panel applets for gnome-panel and xfce-panel provide this however.)

Check the Openbox wiki for a decent list of lightweight panels and start testing them out...it really is that simple.  Regarding #3, it's true that pypanel does this by default, but if you disable task borders you'll never see it--that's what I've always done.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2008-07-11 22:59:44

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

1) fbpanel - I use this provides system tray and pager. supports 3
2) pypanel - has a system tray, i think this supports 3
3) perlpanel
4) lxpanel

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-11 23:01:49)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2008-07-11 23:00:58

moljac024

pogeymanz wrote:

3. This one is really trivial and vain. I need the taskbar to not be filled when I only have one or two windows open. For some reason, this really bugs me. The default fluxbox taskbar does that and I hate it. It also looks like PyPanel does it. So, I need a panel that can at least be told to not behave this way.

Dang, is that annoying! I thought I was the only one having problems accepting that smile

Ever tried living without a panel ? wink
I've only used pypanel for a short while before ditching it and running openbox without a panel, so I can't speak from much experience about panels here.

Anyway, you might want to try tint, fbpanel or lxpanel....can't think of anything else off the top of my head now. Just do a pacman -Ss "panel" wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-07-11 23:03:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I tried going panel less...but it seemed a bit weird for me. and I tried using docker for my tray...but I could not get it to be in my bottom right corner.

So I just went back to using fbpanel smile

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-11 23:03:50)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2008-07-11 23:30:24

pogeymanz

Alrighty, I'm going to try these panels in order first. If I don't find what I like, I'll keep trying.

BMPanel
Tint + Stalonetray
PyPanel

I've decided that the desktop switcher thing isn't all that important. I really would like a quick way to change the volume. Can anybody suggest something other than panel plugins?

#7 2008-07-12 00:09:37

DonVla

pogeymanz wrote:

I've decided that the desktop switcher thing isn't all that important. I really would like a quick way to change the volume. Can anybody suggest something other than panel plugins?

volwheel

#8 2008-07-12 01:03:26

heleos

adesklets also has a volume changing app

#9 2008-07-12 01:39:44

pogeymanz

DonVla wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

volwheel

Wonderful! That's exactly what I needed. Now I can use any panel with a tray.

I didn't really like BMPanel. It seems okay, but maybe not my style.

#10 2008-07-12 02:39:03

simple

You can set the width of each task in fluxbox's panel so it doesn't fill the entire thing. Right click the panel and under iconbar mode menu, the second row with the options Left Relative and Right, choose left or right and it'll condense it.Then under ~./fluxbox/init you can change the pixel width under "session.screen0.iconbar.iconWidth:" Hope that helps with that, if you so choose to stick with fluxbox.

#11 2008-07-12 04:55:22

Sjoden
Website

Tint and Stalonetray are great together. There is also Tint 2 on google code. If you have kde apps, I think kmix is a decent volume manager.

Last edited by Sjoden (2008-07-12 04:55:53)

#12 2008-07-12 06:12:46

pogeymanz

So what's the difference between Tint and Tint2? Any compelling reason to use one over the other? I actually really like the way my desktop looks with Tint and Stalonetray. Very elegant, yet functional.

Actually, I used fluxbox a little bit, but don't anymore. I just like Openbox a little better.

Board footer