You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-10 19:19:13

Acecero

Xfce -> openbox

Hi there fellow archers!

I have been using xfce for a while now and thinking about switching to openbox for a different experience(seeing how its a very popular WM). Before I do so, I want your descriptions of what features I am going to lose from xfce and gain from openbox while doing this transaction. I want facts, not opinions, it maybe a great environment for you to work with and maybe not for me, were all different. I would still like to at least try.

#2 2008-07-10 19:44:36

XFire

Re: Xfce -> openbox

You don't really loose anything, as you can install and use all of the xfce programs, Thunar and what ever else you used, and if you don't want to use them again, there are alternatives to the xfce programs, for panels and app launchers, there is pypanel and adesklets with yab.

In gain terms with openbox, you gain memory, a cleaner desktop, the power to choose what is installed in that there is not complex chain of dependencies as with xfce package there are a lot of programs required. It can at times be more difficult however, as there aren't any packages of programs that do everything, if you want a dependency light environment you have to do a little digging. For GTK styling, I recommend lxappearance, as it can config the stlyes and icons for the OS.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#3 2008-07-10 19:55:56

moljac024

Openbox is a lighter, faster and more configurable window manager than xfwm. That is what you gain. A better window manager (it doesn't support compositing but it's arguable if that is a 'feature' wink )

I use thunar with openbox myself. You could also use xfce4-panel and whatever else app you want. Enjoy openbox! wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2008-07-10 20:46:00

william7

add xfce4-panel to autostart couse Openbox doesn't have panel... /as you probobly know/

if You want set under openbox-session Xfce gtk+ themes add xfce-mcs-manage to your autostart...

http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

here You have great Openbox guide

Cheers

#5 2008-07-10 22:59:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

What you lose in a default install of Openbox (and nothing else):
1) Some of the bloat of Xfce
2) File Manager
3) Panel
4) Desktop Clock (can be combined with the panel)
5) some of the niceties like shutdown and restart

Now let me explain the above...The above is because Openbox - as you probably know- is just a Window manager as opposed to Xfce which is a desktop environment. All of those can be configured in Openbox. But that's the key, you the user has to do it. You can easily install a file manager like pcmanfm or xfe or even thunar (but that brings in some xfce dependencies). So when I install Openbox, I use apps that don't bring Gnome|KDE|Xfce or any other dependencies - unless of course there is no other option at all.

I use Openbox with fbpanel.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-10 23:01:29)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2008-07-11 02:35:27

Sjoden
Website

Here is what I use with my Openbox enviroment.

Openbox - WM
PCMANFM - Very very similar to Thunar
Nitrogen - wallpaper manager
PyPanel or tint/ttm - ...Panel
Obconf - Openbox configuration manager
Obmenu - Menu editor
Urxvt - Great terminal, with some .Xdefaults settings of course

You do lose some of the integration that you have in Xfce. Things aren't as seemless. Thats about the only thing I am missing, apart from a desktop manager for icons... wink

Zack

#7 2008-07-11 02:46:14

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Sjoden wrote:

Here is what I use with my Openbox enviroment.

Openbox - WM
PCMANFM - Very very similar to Thunar
Nitrogen - wallpaper manager
PyPanel or tint/ttm - ...Panel
Obconf - Openbox configuration manager
Obmenu - Menu editor
Urxvt - Great terminal, with some .Xdefaults settings of course

You do lose some of the integration that you have in Xfce. Things aren't as seemless. Thats about the only thing I am missing, apart from a desktop manager for icons... wink

Zack

I use the same apps - with the exception of fbpanel as opposed to pypanel and Feh instead of Nitrogen. PCManFM can also set wallpapers...but I have not been able to have it remember the wallpaper unless I add pcmanfm to my autostart.sh file. Else I would just use pcmanfm and get rid of Feh...since I use Mirage as my image viewer anyway.

BTW...you can use PCManFM to set desktop icons as well...if that's what you want. The other options are iDesk & ROX Desktop

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2008-07-11 04:49:35

Sjoden
Website

BTW...you can use PCManFM to set desktop icons as well...if that's what you want. The other options are iDesk & ROX Desktop

I've tried it, but I can't drag the icons around and place wherever I want. So I just go without. I actually have been thinking of using feh instead of gqview as an image viewer. OT: I had succes with fbdesk in fluxbox for icons on the desktop. But openbox has more support.

#9 2008-07-11 10:43:56

alex_anthony

I use the lxde parts with openbox
nice panel and simple config tools
Even has a nice logout/shutdown dialog

#10 2008-07-11 11:45:45

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I just put shutdown/logout/restart options into Openbox' main menu. Easy.

On top of that I have integrated some scripts that output XML menus (pipe menus) to log in to the remote servers I have access to (that's 5+ and they often have different ports etc.). Openbox can be very powerful if you spend some time with/on it smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#11 2008-07-11 13:57:18

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

alex_anthony wrote:

I use the lxde parts with openbox
nice panel and simple config tools
Even has a nice logout/shutdown dialog

Can you run ps_mem.py on your machine on boot and tell me how much memory lxpanel takes up?

I have seen it to be somewhere around 6-7 MB for fbpanel as well as pypanel. Just wanted to know if lxpanel was any better or worse.

Forum Rules

#12 2008-07-11 13:58:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Sjoden wrote:

I've tried it, but I can't drag the icons around and place wherever I want. So I just go without. I actually have been thinking of using feh instead of gqview as an image viewer. OT: I had succes with fbdesk in fluxbox for icons on the desktop. But openbox has more support.

Believe me, a desktop without any icons is the way to go !!

That's IMO ...of course ;-)

Also, I find Openbox to be a bit more polished in the look & feel department. Although after you apply the tons of themes available for Fluxbox..the difference is hardly noticeable.

I use both Flux and Open on my Debian and Arch respectively.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-11 14:00:29)

Forum Rules

#13 2008-07-11 19:32:15

Acecero

Thanks for all the replies!

Looks like there is a higher gain of capabilities and advantages with openbox. The lost I see is not much for xfce assuming I add a file manager, a panel, and other utilities of choice that fill the gap. There are many options, they all sound good. I would want to avoid the xfce dependencies as much.

I do not need desktop icons, as I do not use them on my xfce desktop. I prefer to organize my files in a home dir with a file manager and load my apps with a menu or an app launcher from a panel(or the terminal).  So I would not have a need for pcmanfm, idesk or rox for icons with openbox. I like a clean desktop.

As for the "shutdown/logout/restart options" I would not mind setting that up in the menus and would it be possible to ingrate just the lxde logout options with openbox without installing all of lxde(maybe ill just do that anyway)? I'll admit I have this habit for pressing alt + F4 for the logout options like in xfce or windows.

Got anymore suggestions for programs and features?

#14 2008-07-11 19:43:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Acecero wrote:

I'll admit I have this habit for pressing alt + F4 for the logout options like in xfce or windows.

Got anymore suggestions for programs and features?

Easily done with creating a shortcut in rc.xml....but then you won't be able to use Alt+F4 to close apps...since it will always try to log out.

I would also recommend gmrun - its an app to run programs...very similar and inspired by the gnome-run dialog that you get by hitting Alt + F2

Note: When I say inspired...i don't mean it uses any gnome dependencies...just that the author wanted to create something like that.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-11 19:44:05)

Forum Rules

#15 2008-07-12 00:31:01

Acecero

Thanks sounds good, I'll assume configuring shortcuts with openbox is not too hard.

I just installed gmrun and it's awesome, it does a tab-completion like in the terminal, its better then xfrun4 imo. Thanks again.

Btw, I know there was thread about this and I want your opinion, why would you choose fbpanel for your openbox, how does it work for you? I was thinking about going with pypanel for the main panel and now I'm openly interested about the others besides gnome-panel and xfce4-panel.

#16 2008-07-12 07:35:56

PCMan

I think you can take a look at LXDE first.
http://lxde.org/

Installation guide for Arch:
http://lxde.org/wiki/ArchLinux

Screenshot:
desktop.png

More screenshots:
http://lxde.org/screenshots.html

It provides you window manager( OpenBox ), file manager (PCManFM), panel (lxpanel), image viewer (gpicview), appearance settings (lxappearance), a logout dialog with reboot/hibernate/shutdown (lxsession-lite) without other unnecessary dependencies. It's pre-configured, and can be customized via GUI config tools. So you have a working desktop environment.

You still have Openbox, but other required daily apps are also provided without any dependency on xfce or gnome.

Notice: In Arch repo, some lxde apps are optional and are not in lxde group.

Board footer