You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-12 10:52:43

rubend

losing internet connection after starting some apps

Hi all,
I'm having this problem with my arch linux install (I've been having this since the beginning and have reinstalled arch about 4 times for other reasons). I'm having the problem when using both wicd or netcfg to connect and both with wireless and wired.
When I'm connected to the internet (and the wireless router) and I start rtcw (return to castle wolfenstein) and go to serverlist it hangs for 30 secs and than says trying to connect to master server. When I go back to the desktop I have no internet at all and can't restart the connection or anything everything just hangs and my wireless card suddenly can't even detect the router (not even when I'm sitting next to it). The same problem happens when I start crossover pro / games. The internet suddenly stops working and by consequence I can't download steam to install, etc.

Does anyone have the same problem or knows a solution?

If this problem gets fixed I will donate 10 euro's to the arch linux project because besides this everything works!

thx in advance,
Ruben

Oh and all this software was legally purchased if you were wondering ;-). (student discount woohoo)

Last edited by rubend (2008-07-12 10:54:37)

#2 2008-07-12 11:46:06

floke

Re: losing internet connection after starting some apps

What happens if you try '/etc/rc.d/network restart' (might need to do this as root)?

#3 2008-07-12 13:35:24

rubend

yeah tried that , didn't work. (already tried it before you gave this tip ;-))

Got some more info: I think it's a firewall/ router issue because when my internet falls out by starting the programs (and checking serverlist with games) then for everyone in the house the internet stops tongue. This must mean that somehow what my apps want to connect to isn't allowed or something and the firewall or router stops the internet. I know it sounds strange but what other explanation is there?
my setup at home:
apple airport router +
apple airtport router with storage (don't know the official name) +
linksys router (this one is because my linux laptop can't connect to the apple crap even if the apple routers emit on b and g channels)

A lot of routers I know but my dad set it up.

Does arch linux (or linux in general bcause had these problems also on other distro's) use other ports for games serverlists and apps (like crossover) connecting to internet than windows? Strangely when I use my desktop (with windows xp installed) booted with slax usb I can connect and play rtcw online no problem so there must be a problem in my setup.

other ideas?

Last edited by rubend (2008-07-12 13:37:06)

#4 2008-07-14 19:20:39

rubend

Hey all,
the problem probably is that the ports that have to be open aren't on my routers. (and bcause I have multiple routers connected to eachother I have to open them on each one) Anyway I'm not allowed to open those needed so I'll just have to live with it. (http://portforward.com/default.htm if you want to open up your ports and http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check if your needed port is open)

thx anyway

about the donation: will be thinking about it

Ruben

Board footer