You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-22 08:24:05

Eschatokyrios

can't send anything but UDP packets outside the local network

Today I had to restart X because for some reason my sound driver wasn't loaded (I don't know why that's happening or why restarting X seems to fix it- in fact, I was about to go on IRC and try to figure that out when my network broke), and immediately after I did my wireless connection stopped working. I have a broadcom bcm4306 card with the b43-legacy driver. For the actual network configuration I had a script that ran wpa_supplicant (which handles the key and essid) on startup, and then runs dhclient to get the IP address.

Right now I'm connected to the network, I can ping other machines on the network and the router. I cannot ping anywhere outside the network, even directly by IP, so I don't think it's a DNS issue. Ping and traceroute don't return connection refused errors, they just go for a while and then timeout.

Iptraf tells me that my machine is doing nothing but sending UDP packets to seemingly-random IP addresses. I don't know what on my system is trying to do that, and I'm not sure how to find out. I'm not getting any packets in return, except when I ping a local machine, then I get ICMP packets like I should.

I reiterate that this all happened suddenly. Everything was working fine before I restarted X that one time, and I'm not sure if it actually had anything to do with the wireless problem or if it was just a coincidence. It'd be kind of an odd coincidence, though, I literally stopped receiving TCP packets and being able to do something useful with the connection right after I restarted X.

Board footer