You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-26 19:39:08

Frem
Website

Why am I maxing out at 300KB/s with a direct ethernet connection?

I'm moving about 60gigs of data from one laptop (Arch Linux) to another (Ubuntu). First, I tried connecting both machines to an 8 year old router by ethernet and running scp overnight. That was moving at about 2Mb/s last night, but when I work up this morning, it had dropped down to about 200Kb/s. I tried using rsync instead, but it's only moving at between 200Kb/s and 300KB/s.

Finally, I tried connecting the two laptops with an ethernet cord, using Wicd to set the ip addresses manually with one as the gateway, and using rsync. That's averaging about 300Kb/s. I know I saw a 2Mb/s transfer rate going on last night, but I have no idea why the speed dropped down so low or why I can't reproduce it. Normally I wouldn't care, but speeding up the transfer will cut *days* off it.

The rsync command I'm using is

rsync -r -t -v --progress --ignore-existing -i -l james@192.168.1.10:* /home/james/incoming

Any assistance is appreciated.

#2 2008-07-28 00:13:28

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: Why am I maxing out at 300KB/s with a direct ethernet connection?

What kind of machines are these? Your bandwidth might be getting capped by the speed of encryption/decryption due to the SSH tunnelling scp and your above rsync command are using.

Have you considered a "non-secure" (aka non-encrypted, but if it is a local network that you control it isn't that big of deal) solution such as NFS? NFS should max out your connection.

Board footer