You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-01 02:42:48

soccerjonp

[Solved] Automount without DE (ivman, gnome-volume-manager, autofs)

Hey,

I'm trying to get automounting (for cd/dvd, usbsticks, etc.) working.  It seems like I've tried most everything, and nothing is working... which probably means I'm doing something wrong and/or stupid.  I have dbus, udev, and hal running successfully and if I run a GNOME session automounting will work correctly, however, I would like to be running a standalone window manager (Compiz-Fusion) and therein lies the rub.  With my standalone Compiz session automounting doesn't seem to ever work.  I have added my user to the storage, optical, hal, and plugdev groups.  I also removed all removable media (including cdrom) from my fstab file.

Ideally I would like to use gnome-volume-manager to automount things, so I installed it with pacman -S gnome-volume-manager, but when I tried to run it, bash couldn't locate the file.  It seemed like it should have added itself to /usr/bin/ but I could not find it there.  It seemed a little bit like a hack, but I created a symlink to the executable in  /usr/lib/gnome-volume-manager/ and put the symlink in my /usr/local/bin/.  Ok, so now I can run the command gnome-volume-manager.  So I run it, and simply nothing happens.  I try inserting a usb stick, and nothing is mounted in the /media directory, it doesn't even detect my cdrom drive.

Since I couldn't get gnome-volume-manager to work, I tried ivman and autofs with similar results... I couldn't see any errors, but nothing got automounted.

Can anyone give me some advice?  I have been unable to find a similar problem via google or the wiki.

- Jon

Last edited by soccerjonp (2008-08-05 01:07:35)

#2 2008-08-01 03:06:46

B-Con
Website

Re: [Solved] Automount without DE (ivman, gnome-volume-manager, autofs)

You can write your own udev rules: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ude … SB_devices

I also hear Thunar does decent volume management.

#3 2008-08-01 03:13:44

Gullible Jones

#4 2008-08-01 04:28:09

soccerjonp

You can write your own udev rules: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ude … SB_devices

I want to avoid writing udev rules, it seems like a pain and kind of like a hack.

I also hear Thunar does decent volume management.

I might try that, but it would be nice if I could use a file manager of my choice.

Apparently it's still possible to write automount rules for HAL.

I was under the impression that HAL simply provided notifications about automounting and another program was needed to actually do the mounting (KDE and GNOME provide this).  Do these rules actually automount the devices, even if I'm not running a desktop environment?

Ok, here's an update:

gnome-volume-manager - if I start nautilus automount will work (it seems like it will work with or without gnome-volume-manager), however I'd rather not start nautilus with my window manager... it seems like I might as well just use GNOME DE.

ivman - I reinstalled and ran it, and it will now automount things (usbsticks at least) but cannot unmount them... it says:
Error: could not determine real path of the device: No such file or directory
It also doesn't seem to mount my cdrom which I'm surprised about.  Unless it mounts it somewhere besides /media?

- Jon

#5 2008-08-01 11:01:12

Diaz

here you have your sollution for gnome-volume-manager. That's the way i use it and i have messed with some other options but none work as this volume-manager ( automounting on boot my usb hdd and my e-sata drive without the stupid need to open the file manager )

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=49351

hopeit helps.

#6 2008-08-05 01:06:34

soccerjonp

Thanks Diaz, that was precisely my problem.  Once I recompiled gnome-volume-manager with the "--enable-automount" option, it worked wonderfully.

Thanks to all who answered, everything proposed was a good solution, and now my automounting finally works!

- Jon

Board footer