You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-03 21:05:09

floke

Help me use Linux on holiday!

Here's the thing.

I'm on holiday for a few days at my in-laws, but the only PC there is a crappy 256mb XP box (it's a nightmare).

I have my laptop with me with Arch and other Linuxes (Lini?) on it, but for some strange reason none of them will connect to the router - a simple wired ethernet. Last time I was here (a few months ago) it just connected automatically, but now I get a message about a protected wired network - even though I'm told that no-one has done anything to it. How can I connect my lappy - or where the hell do I look in the XP box f or passwords etc? (that network control panel thingy gives me all the ip/netmask info - but nowhere are passwords to be found).

#2 2008-08-04 00:04:42

sam

Re: Help me use Linux on holiday!

Where do you get the message?  networkmanager or in the browser?  Is the router static or dynamic?  What kind of router are you in-laws using?  I haven't heard of a consumer-grade router that demands a password to connect via the wire. 

Things to try:
-You can try setting the dns, netmask, and ip (remember you have to increment by 1) manually.
-If you truly need a password, then you can login to the router via their computer and check.
-If all else fails, you can always ask...

Last edited by sam (2008-08-04 00:05:17)

#3 2008-08-04 21:33:42

floke

the windows settings are for dhcp, and i'vd tried setting manually.
And  I have asked, and they say they've done nothing to it - and i believe them, they use IE and know absolutely nothing about PCs.

#4 2008-08-05 16:28:41

zenlord
Website

check the router for MAC-address-protection. Maybe the router is only accepting connections of certain MAC-adresses...

Also: check the cable and another LAN-port on the router wink

Zl.

Last edited by zenlord (2008-08-05 16:29:15)

#5 2008-08-05 16:44:37

pheon

Hi,

but now I get a message about a protected wired network

Where do You geht this message?

You could also check the output of ipconfig /all (on the windows box) for any details on access-control.

Regards

watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube

#6 2008-08-05 17:06:52

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Can you access the router menu directly? Depending on what brand it is, you should be able to http into it with a browser (google the router to find out which IP you need to use... normally 127.0.0.x or 192.168.x.x). Check the settings there to see if, as mentioned, it's filtering mac addresses.

In WinXP, go to network settings and check the right-click menu over the connection to the router. I think passwords are saved there somewhere, but I never needed them when using WinXP, so I'm not sure. Maybe your in-laws ran some configuration software to set it up their connection, so even though they "haven't touched anything", you never know.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#7 2008-08-06 05:27:47

arew264
Website

I second Pheon, where do you get that message?
Wired networks really don't have security because... well... how is anyone going to break in? You can't use technology to block social engineering.
Running dhcpcd from the command line should get you connected.

Board footer