You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-14 12:52:35

mrunion
Website

WPA and New iwlwifi

I am using WPA both at work and at home. When the new iwlwifi drivers (228.57.2.21) were released a couple of weeks ago, I upgraded. Now at work I can connect to the router fine, but within a random time frame (5 minutes to a couple of hours) The machine will freeze with a Kernel panic (CAPS light flashing, etc.).  At home using WPA, etc., I cannot even connect with the new drivers.  This happens on both Kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.26.

If I downgrade back to 4.44.xxx everything is fine.  It "seems" -- though not completely tested -- that if I remove WPA at home and leave the router "open", the new drivers work fine.  At work I cannot remove WPA security to test.

I'm using netcfg2 (2.0.6) and nothing special in my network profile for home:

CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="Home Connection"

INTERFACE=wlan0
IP="dhcp"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="runion"
KEY="<censored>"
SCAN="yes"
TIMEOUT=20

Is there anything I can try?  Should I wait on netcfg2 2.1.0 which is due out soon (I think)? Will that make a difference?  I've opened bug reports at both bugs.archlinux.org and intellinuxwireless.org, but they were open for the drivers causing a kernel panic. I am going to go back and add additional information that it only seems to cause a kernel panic with WPA enabled.  Here are the tickets:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10984
http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzi … gi?id=1726

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#2 2008-08-14 14:01:50

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: WPA and New iwlwifi

Good work filing the bugs.

The newer netcfg is unlikely to make a difference. Nothing netcfg does should ever cause a kernel panic. And it's happenning well after netcfg has finished.

Nag at the bug if it doesnt get much response, and then bug them on the mailing lists.

Cheers,

James

Last edited by iphitus (2008-08-14 14:02:46)

Board footer