You are not logged in.

#176 2008-07-04 00:38:45

DeltaXFX

Re: F@H Arch Linux Team - Recruitment & Stats thread - HELP US !.

Have you noticed any change in performance?

The Internet...? Is that thing still around?

#177 2008-07-04 02:45:10

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

No, I can't say that I've noticed any performance increase.  What I am hoping for is better stability.  I am running Arch 64 and Gnome.  Somewhere between kernel 2.6.24/Gnome 2.20 and kernel 2.6.26/Gnome 2.22 I started getting some strange lockups.  The computer would be totally dead.  Ctrl-Alt-Del, Ctrl_alt_F1, wouldn't work and can't SSH into the dead machine.  Nothing could be done except hit the Reset button.  As I started looking into this, I left Gnome monitor running all the time.  After a reboot, with only Gnome Monitor and F@H running, the memory in use would be at 24%.  Then it would start creeping up and after a couple of days it would be up to 30% or more.  Usually around 35% the lockup would occur.

So, I started shutting down F@H and doing a reboot when the memory usage got into the lower 30% area.  Better to do a controlled shut down than a hard reset after a lock up.  Too soon to tell, but so far with the new client the memory usage is staying at 24% when only Gnome monitor and F@H running.  I sure hope this fixes the problem, but with my luck it probably won't.

Pudge

Edit:  Did some research on the above at the F@H forums.  Here is the thread officially announcing the Linux 6.02 full release SMP client.  Notice the asterisked note at the bottom of the first post.

*One exception to the above: there appear to be some problems with the fah client on very recent Linux kernels--see the posts regarding that. We are still working on that issue.

I couldn't find the referred to posts regarding that issue.  Darn, I was hoping the new client would solve this problem, but at least they are aware of it and looking into the problem.

Last edited by Pudge (2008-07-04 03:43:56)

#178 2008-07-18 11:05:48

ST.x
Website

Just got back into folding here. Im using the smp package from aur. First I edited /etc/conf.d/foldingathome-smp for my user account. Then ran ./fah6 -configonly from /opt/fah-smp/
Now I followed the wiki and also had to copy the details I entered when using /opt/fah-smp/./fah6 -configonly into the new client.cfg but according to FahMon my user is 'Anonymous' and team is '0' still same when checking file:///opt/fah-smp/seynthantx/MyFolding.html

edit: After checking myfah.log and FAHlog.txt it seems the first time that FAH was started I hadn't set my user and team so thats the first entry there but later entries reveal the correct team and username. Im guessing fahmon is only reading the initial entry. So that should mean when the unit is finished it will still submit in my correct name and team I think. And on the second unit, it should display properly in fahmon?

Last edited by ST.x (2008-07-18 11:17:42)

#179 2008-07-21 06:41:53

CodeBlock
Website

Folding now big_smile    Maybe i can get my fancy title under my username here now tongue

I'm a block of code, and I approve this message.

#180 2008-08-01 10:00:25

samoturk

1,339,268 points last month!

#181 2008-08-02 02:07:31

big_gie

bzip2

#182 2008-08-02 02:44:30

diesel1

big_gie wrote:

bzip2

Thanks big_gie,

My client is complaining about...

./FahCore_a2.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I realized as I was typing and then deleted the post, FaH must bzip their WU, in the meantime I tried to install bzip2 and shaman siad it was there, I said reinstall and then it removed most of my system and even pacman itself.

Anyhow most things seem to be back now! (phew).

My FaH client is still complaining.

What is wrong?

Diesel1.

The lib libbz2.so.1.0.4 was only symlinked by *.so.1.0  *.so.o.
I do not know what has changed this link.

Last edited by diesel1 (2008-08-02 03:05:47)

Registered GNU/Linux user #140607.

#183 2008-08-02 03:08:19

big_gie

diesel1 wrote:

...I tried to install bzip2 and shaman siad it was there, I said reinstall and then it removed most of my system and even pacman itself.

Wow! pacman was removed??? Probably not what you wanted to say wink

diesel1 wrote:

./FahCore_a2.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The executable (FahCore_a2.exe) is linked to many shared libraries, one of them being libbz2. Probably, the bz2 package got updated. On my (not updated) computer, the library is:
/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.4
with too symbolic links:
/lib/libbz2.so -> libbz2.so.1.0.4
/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 -> libbz2.so.1.0.4
As you see, the library is at version 1.0.4. But some programs may depends on 1.0 and up... So instead of linking to 1.0.4, they link to the symbolic link 1.0. The symbolic link needs to be there.

Type:
ls /lib/libbz2.so*
If you don't have /lib/libbz2.so.1, the easiest way would be to create a symbolic link to the existing, real, library:
sudo ln -s /lib/libbz2.so.1.0.4 /lib/libbz2.so.1

#184 2008-08-02 03:13:49

diesel1

Hi big_gie,

I did relink the library and now FaH seems* to be running.

Diesel1.

* still waiting for 1 percent to complete. (OK it has written a checkpoint now.)

PS. In between the pacman issue the client I was running has expired making me install 6.02.  Both clients were complaing about this library.

Last edited by diesel1 (2008-08-02 03:18:51)

#185 2008-08-02 18:37:38

Pudge

big_gie wrote:
diesel1 wrote:

The executable (FahCore_a2.exe) is linked to many shared libraries, one of them being libbz2. Probably, the bz2 package got updated. On my (not updated) computer, the library is:
/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.4
with too symbolic links:
/lib/libbz2.so -> libbz2.so.1.0.4
/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 -> libbz2.so.1.0.4
As you see, the library is at version 1.0.4. But some programs may depends on 1.0 and up... So instead of linking to 1.0.4, they link to the symbolic link 1.0. The symbolic link needs to be there.

Type:
ls /lib/libbz2.so*
If you don't have /lib/libbz2.so.1, the easiest way would be to create a symbolic link to the existing, real, library:
sudo ln -s /lib/libbz2.so.1.0.4 /lib/libbz2.so.1

To avoid confusion, let me point out that everything in this post refers to the Linux 64 bit only SMP Folding@Home client named fah6.  As far as I know, if you start the fah6 client with the -smp flag it only uses two cores, FahCore_a1.exe and FahCore_a2.exe.  Which one it uses depends on the type of work unit you happen to get.  The following only applies to the FahCore_a2.exe core.

Stanford released a new version of FahCore_a2.exe and for some reason the FahCore_a2.exe Version 2.0 specifies that it wants libbz2.so.1 specifically.  So as big_gie said, adding the symbolic link makes every thing happy.

The FahCore_a2 version is listed when the client starts up.  You can check the screen when it starts or check FAHlog.txt.  As stated, the new version is 2.0 and the old version is 1.9X.  You should see something like this:

[17:12:08] Core required: FahCore_a2.exe
[17:12:08] Core found.
[17:12:09] Working on Unit 01 [August 2 17:12:09]
[17:12:09] + Working ...
[17:12:09] 
[17:12:09] *------------------------------*
[17:12:09] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[17:12:09] Version 2.00 (Wed Jul 9 13:11:25 PDT 2008)

If you receive a new Work Unit that requires the new FahCore_a2.exe core, it will take about twice as long to run (~ 40 min / percent) on the 1.9X version as opposed to the 2.0 version (~ 20 min / percent).  However, if you have a Core_a2 Work Unit running on the 1.9X version, and you stop the client and switch to the 2.0 version then you will loose the partially completed WU when you restart the client.  To salvage the partial Work Unit, stop the client then restart it with    ./fah6 -smp -oneunit    When the WU finishes, delete the 1.9X version and when F@H restarts it should download ver 2.0

If you read the entire F@H thread, you will find that they are experiencing other problems with this new core.  If you stop the client in the middle of a work unit, it sometimes trashes the work unit, deletes it, and downloads a new work unit.  Any progress on the partial WU is totally lost.  Another problem is that the new a2 core hangs quite often when it is finished with the WU.  You have to be careful at this point or you may trash a completed WU.

FYI you only get Work Units requiring the FahCore_a2.exe version 2 core if you have the -advmethods flag set.   

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge (2008-08-02 18:40:46)

#186 2008-08-03 16:42:16

smartcat99s

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10935

It's fixed with the bzip2 version in testing.

Running Folding@Home for Team 11108 - My Stats

#187 2008-08-03 23:45:07

diesel1

smartcat99s wrote:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10935

It's fixed with the bzip2 version in testing.

Thanks, it didn't occur to me that I should report a bug.

Diesel1.

#188 2008-08-04 13:48:31

crouse
Website

I asked godane to create a f@h version of arch-live ....... so it would be possible for users to just put in the live cd and boot and be folding for the arch team...... need a couple people to help test this to make sure it's working like expected.  I thought it might be good for certain applications, somewhere you might not want to install f@h, but could run it occassionally via the live disk........ or usbkey.

http://arch-live.blogspot.com/2008/08/a … lease.html
http://arch-live.isawsome.net/iso/arch-fah/20080803/

I releasing a folding@home edition of arch-live. This is just the core folder of arch-live with some settings for folding@home to work.

It uses arch user for folding@home for security concerns.

user: arch
pass: arch

Root password is ArchLinux.

You can get the iso here.

PS I'm going to see about adding the folding@home editon has a boot option in arch-live. This release is only for people who don't need a desktop and like command line. Folding@home is started at boot so you shouldn't have to do anything but maybe login.
Posted by godane at 8:25 PM
Labels: arch-fah, release

Last edited by crouse (2008-08-04 13:49:16)

#189 2008-08-04 19:39:11

iBertus

I've got 8 cores that aren't working on anything most of the day and two GTX280 GPUs that could help if nvidia ever ports the CUDA F@H client to Linux. I'll give this livecd a try when I'm done with work...

#190 2008-08-05 02:59:42

Pudge

iBertus wrote:

I have two GTX280 GPUs that could help if nvidia ever ports the CUDA F@H client to Linux.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the latest Nvidia Linux drivers do have CUDA support.  Right now, the Nvidia drivers are a moot point anyway.  The biggest stumbling block is that Stanford has only released the GPA client for 32 Bit Windows only.  Stanford is the one who needs to release a native Linux GPA client.

I wonder if Godane would be interested in making a F@H version of Arch 64 Live for a USB stick with these patches for running the GP2 client on Linux with WINE?

I haven't tried this yet, but I have read the thread all the way through.  It may end up being over my head.  People who have done this say they get better results with Linux/WINE than with Windows.  According to this, If you could get two GTX280 GPUs going, those two video cards alone would yield 10,000 + points a day.  I currently have one 9800 GTX running on Windows XP 32 bit, and it gives me 5000 + points by itself. 

Pudge

#191 2008-08-07 01:42:00

kontrast
Website

Anyone know anything about a Linux version of the gpu client? I know on many different sites I've seen things like "not supported yet, blah", but I would like to be able to test out how much faster that gpu client is vs the standard linux client. Just wondering.

#192 2008-08-15 00:31:51

Pudge

Congratulations to quad3datwork for joining the Millionaire's Club.  That's quite a milestone.

Cheers, this one's for you.

Pudge

#193 2008-08-15 02:17:25

dhave

I'm now folding at home. It makes me feel better about all the time I spend at this machine.

I would have signed up earlier, but I thought it had something to do with origami.:cool:

(How do you get the official f@h designation under your forum name?)
EDIT: Nevermind. I found the post earlier in this thread that tells what to do.

Last edited by dhave (2008-08-15 02:24:14)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#194 2008-08-15 12:58:57

dhave

ST.x wrote:

After checking myfah.log and FAHlog.txt it seems the first time that FAH was started I hadn't set my user and team so thats the first entry there but later entries reveal the correct team and username. Im guessing fahmon is only reading the initial entry. So that should mean when the unit is finished it will still submit in my correct name and team I think. And on the second unit, it should display properly in fahmon?

I'm in precisely the same situation. The first two entries in FAHlog.txt show me logged in as Anonymous with team number "0", presumably because I hadn't fully configured the client. The rest of the entries show my correct username and the ArchLinux team number.

However, MyFolding.html shows only Anonymous - "0", as does the info panel of the FahMon interface.

Are the Arch team and I actually getting credit for my machine's contribution for this WU?

Thanks.

Last edited by dhave (2008-08-15 13:11:19)

Donate to Arch!

#195 2008-08-15 13:41:38

Pudge

dhave wrote:

However, MyFolding.html shows only Anonymous - "0", as does the info panel of the FahMon interface.

Are the Arch team and I actually getting credit for my machine's contribution for this WU?

Thanks.

I'm guessing that you won't get points for this WU.  To config the client, go to the folder where fah6 resides, stop the client, and manually run fah6 with these flags.

$ ./fah6 -smp -configonly

Use 45032 as the team number, if you have a modern machine with anything over 512 MB, answer "Big" to the memory question, answer "Yes" to the advmethods flag.  If you have any questions on how to answer any of the rest of the questions, see the first post of this thread.  If you still have any questions, let me know.  By re-configuring the client in the middle of a WU, you may lose the WU, but don't worry about it we have ALL lost Work Units.  When you are done configuring, restart the client with ./fah6 -smp

List your setup, like what type of CPU you are using, single core, dual core, etc. and Arch i686 or Arch x86_64, and which client you are using and we'll get you set up one way or the other.

Thanks for joining the Arch folding team. 

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge (2008-08-15 13:44:28)

#196 2008-08-15 14:25:00

dhave

Pudge wrote:

We have ALL lost Work Units.  When you are done configuring, restart the client with ./fah6 -smp

List your setup, like what type of CPU you are using, single core, dual core, etc. and Arch i686 or Arch x86_64, and which client you are using and we'll get you set up one way or the other.

Thanks for joining the Arch folding team. 

Pudge

Thanks for the help, Pudge. I followed the instructions more carefully this time, and, from the screen output when I restarted the client, I'm certain that my designate username ("dhave") is at work for the Arch team.

The info from FahMon still doesn't make me happy -- it shows my old progress with Anonymous (Team "0") as user, and I can't seem to manipulate its config files or preferences to produce any change. But as long as the live screen output from fah6 is showing dhave at work on behalf of the Arch folding team, I'm not sweating it.

Donate to Arch!

#197 2008-08-15 16:28:54

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Try 'reload all' in FahMon. After completing a unit, you can check :
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai … mnum=45032
to see if your username in in the list. I think this page updates once per day.

Here, MyFolding.html doesn't seem to be updated at all.

#198 2008-08-15 17:41:08

quad3d@work
Website

Pudge wrote:

Congratulations to quad3datwork for joining the Millionaire's Club.  That's quite a milestone.

Cheers, this one's for you.

Pudge

Thanks! Glad I can contribute. big_smile

#199 2008-08-16 03:04:24

Pudge

quad3datwork reaching a cool million got me to thinking about other milestones for Arch F@H.

According to this thread, post #7 the Arch Linux folding team 45032 was established on June 14, 2005 by jftaylor21.  I would have to assume that he was also the first registered folder for 45032.

ExtremeOverclocking.com does not list  individual stats until a team reaches a rank of 800 or higher.  Arch Linux 45032 reached that milestone on March 8, 2006.

As far as I can remember, the most active users Arch has ever had was 69 and occurred on July 26, 2008

Of all the Arch folders who have come and gone, I believe uberPenguin has continuously folded the longest.  That milestone is definitely  worth mentioning.  I couldn't find when uberPengin started folding, but he had been folding for a while when I got here.

At the other end of the scale, as soon as he turns in his first Work Unit, I believe dhave will be the newest Arch folder.

I know this is subjective, but in my opinion Crouse was the most enthusiastic folder we ever had, having started this thread amongst other things.  All you have to do is read the first two pages of this thread to see his enthusiasm.

I believe Snowman is the only dev that's folding.

On a personal note, I turned in my first Work Unit on September 6, 2004 for Sudhian Media.  I started folding for Arch Linux on February 23, 2006 and have been here ever since.  I believe Misfit138 gave me the honor of being the first to have the "Arch Linux f@h Team Member" moniker.  Misfit, correct me if I am wrong.

If any of the above statements are incorrect, please correct me.

If you come up with some milestones, etc. for Arch Linux folding, please list them.

Pudge

#200 2008-08-16 06:19:55

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I'm not the only dev who folds. Two other devs folds: kth5 and codemac. There might be others as I went through the list rather quickly.

Board footer