You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-16 14:55:33

Gullible Jones

Rutilt without root password?

Is there any way to use rutilt or wifi-radar without sudo or a root password, as is done with e.g. wicd and networkmanager? I'm getting sick of wicd's bugs, but the root access requirement is annoying - can I make these applications respect the network group, or allow some other group to use them without root priveleges? Or would that be too insecure?

#2 2008-08-16 16:03:54

bgc1954

Re: Rutilt without root password?

I've been using wifi-radar for ages and really like it.  To avoid having to run as root or enter password I've added to /etc/sudoers file:

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/wifi-radar

I don't know if this would be what you want as it's kinda using sudo without having to type in "sudo wifi-radar".  wifi-radar is added to my DAEMONS list in rc.conf and works great.  I also have a wifi-radar icon in my E17 ibar so I can check out other access points if I want.  Come to think of it, is what I'm doing insecure?  Never really thought about it. hmm

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2008-08-16 16:36:01

Gullible Jones

Yeah, that's not really what I'm looking for... Basically what I want is a way to let users other than root use iwconfig. Unless there are major security issues there.

(How does networkmanager do it, anyway? Doesn't it allow nonroot users in the "network" group to do this stuff, albeit indirectly?)

#4 2008-08-16 19:58:55

Gullible Jones

Okay it looks like rutilt has an option (annoyingly, a compile-time option) to not spam the user with password requests. Unfortunately however, the website gives me 403 Forbidden at the moment, so I can't download the source code. sad

Meanwhile - what about netcfg? Any way to add network profiles as a nonroot user? If WiCD and networkmanager can do it, there has to be some way...

Last edited by Gullible Jones (2008-08-16 20:00:37)

Board footer