You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-21 20:30:54

Keffin

Network monitoring/oddness

Since the upgrade to kernel 2.6.26, my laptops wireless light now works (intel 3945), and spends a lot of its time flashing, even when the machine is sat idle. So I have installed tcpdump and ran "tcpdump -vvv". The first thing I notice is that internet usage creates bursts of the following output:

More Data Pwr Mgmt Strictly Ordered WEP Encrypted 7168us Unknown Ctrl Subtype

This is odd since my connection is WPA - not WEP as the message seems to state. Is this some config error or just a misleading message?

And on to my main question. Even when my machine is idle and firefox/pidgin/etc are closed, I continue to get a small number of these messages, one or two every few seconds. I suspect it is ntpd, or dbus doing something bizarre, or dhcpcd. Is there some way of determining for sure what program is transmitting (or receiving) these packets?

As a bonus and potentially related question, when I set up sudo it doesn't like me restricting access to localhost, I have to use the machines hostname. Both localhost and the machines name are listed in /etc/hosts. Any clues?

Thanks.

Edit:
I have managed to dig some more with the help of 2 dice and the "kill" command, and found most of my idle network usage was ntpd and mpd. After disabling zeroconf in its config file mpd no longer touches the network, and ntpd reduces its network usage sharply as it gets more confident, so I am now fairly happy.

Last edited by Keffin (2008-08-22 19:41:18)

Board footer