You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-29 23:41:18

sarah31
Website

Super pathetic Download rates with bt

I just recently figured out bittorent and I was intrigued with possibly getting some stuff in a short period of time. But despite having a highspeed connection I am getting useless download rates with nearly double upload rates.

I have done some cursory searching but nothing that really helps as most of it is non-linux related. I figure it could be something in my firewall but as to what i dunno. but i tell you the rates i am getting from bittorrent are as good as or worse than your standard p2p.

any help? I can provide my firewal if required. (i am not an iptables expert so i wouldn't know what may be throttling my speeds)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#2 2004-08-30 00:00:41

aCoder
Website

Re: Super pathetic Download rates with bt

Well, your firewall shouldn't be doing any 'speed throttling', but it may not be allowing you to open ports for incoming connections.  If you're uploading normally though, this probably isn't it.  You may just not be connected to others with high speed connections, or thier max upload rate is set low.

I would recommend trying a torrent you know is extremely active and reliable.  I've had the best luck with Slackware's torrents.  There seems to be a permanent seeder that sends it as fast as my connection will allow.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#3 2004-08-30 01:24:52

LavaPunk

If you're uploading quickly you should have the correct ports open.  But make sure ports 6881 through 6889 are open.  Assuming they are I suspect you are having slow downloads because of lack of seeders, or connections to connect to for your download.  As was already suggested by aCoder try and grab yourself a torrent you know is very busy.  The more downloaders the faster your download should be.
Good luck

#4 2004-08-30 10:38:41

IceRAM
Website

Actually, iptables supports QoS (Quality of Service) [1] which can increase the efficiency of the network connection assigning priorities to the packets based on their characteristics (port, destination etc.). There are some specific rules added to the PREROUTING chain.

I personally think that QoS can proove its efficiency especially for high speed connections because of the high traffic.

The firewall script I use to create my iptables rules (gShield) , has some predefined rules for QoS (basic ports + priorities). For example, it assigns higher priorities for SMTP&POP traffic than for HTTP(S), just to make sure your e-mail reading is not slow because of visiting webpages.

A HowTo for manually tuning connection with QoS using iptables can be found at [2].

Enjoy.

IceRAM

[1] http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc … oc/qos.htm
[2] http://www.prout.be/qos/QoS-connection- … HOWTO.html

#5 2004-08-31 22:26:55

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm sure QoS would be very effective, but it's not necessary to make BT work properly. There are two things you need to do - open the ports as advised above, and limit the upload bandwidth used by BT to about 80% of the maximum available. From the CLI, this is done using the --max_upload_rate parameter. As a real-world example, I have 128kbps (16kBps) maximum upload available, so I set --max_upload_rate to 12 (the measurement is in kBps).

This is necessary because unlike some other P2P systems, the BT protocol requires a lot of communication between all hosts participating in any particular torrent. If your upload bandwidth is consumed by the actual data, your system's comms messages have trouble getting through, and you are then perceived as an unreliable participant. Consequently, BT limits your download in favour of other participants.

#6 2004-09-03 03:35:48

sarah31
Website

i haven't tried QoS but i am still getting lousy dl rates. currently it takes well over one day to grab about 440 MB in that time i can usually upload over a GB. I know some of the files i am downloading are not well shared but another that is is only giving me a max of 16 Kb/s max whil going 30 the other way.

I am sure it is my firewall since i connected the computer with bt directly to the net adjusted the firewall and got waaaaaaay better rates.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-09-03 08:03:50

IceRAM
Website

Why don't you check the firewall logs (messages might also be in /var/log/kernel.log). Maybe you have missed opening some ports or something.

#8 2004-09-05 13:57:34

robot5x

LavaPunk wrote:

But make sure ports 6881 through 6889 are open.

I read on a BT site recently that they were asking everyone to use different ports now as the ISPs have latched onto these ones normally used for torrents and are throttling them.

Board footer