You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-28 04:21:17

noahsark1126

bizarre wireless problems with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper

I have a Dell 1500 Draft-n wireless card with a bcm4328 chipset in it - the only driver (for now) is ndiswrapper.  I've successfully used it on Ubuntu and Debian Sid with standard WPA-PSK and on a college campus with an EAP network.  In fact I had an already working wpa_supplicant.conf, so when I switched to Arch I just copied it over. 

Now, on Arch, I am able to easily connect to a WPA network, acquire an IP address via dhcp, and access the internet.  But the connection consistently fails after about 2 or 3 minutes.  Running "wpa_cli status" tells me that it is still connected and has an IP, but I cannot ping a server or access any part of the internet.  And then everything starts to behave very strangely:

1) Sudo no longer works.  If I run any command with sudo, nothing happens.  The cursor just blinks.  I try to control-c out of it, but...
2) Control-c no longer works!  If I hit control-c, all that happens is "^C" is printed to the terminal.  I have to close the window to get out of it.  Or, if I am in a VT, I have to switch to another one.
3) Su does seem to still work.  I can switch to root and run most commands, except...
4) All of the networking commands are dead.  "ifconfig wlan0 up" or "iwlist wlan0 scan" just give blinking cursors (which I can't control-c out of).  So does dhcpcd.  I can run wpa_supplicant, but it doesn't recognize the wlan0 interface.
5) I can't touch the network daemon.  "/etc/rc.d/network stop" or "/etc/rc.d/network restart" just sits at {BUSY] and hangs indefinitely.
6) I can't shutdown or restart.  It either hangs on "Stopping network" or if it passes that, it says that my lvm groups are busy and remounted read-only, then it hangs.  I end up having to hit the power button for a hard shutdown.

The behavior is the same with or without netcfg.  Also, none of this applies to eth0.  I can do anything I want to eth0, its just wlan0 that causes all this.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  I couldn't find anything in any of the logs I know to look at, and I've never experienced behavior like this before.

I'll try anything!  I really like arch, and I'd hate to have to go back to debian just because of a wireless issue.

#2 2008-08-28 07:43:07

zz5

Re: bizarre wireless problems with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper

your problem is caused by ndiswrapper, look in this topic for details: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=54224

#3 2008-08-29 05:06:10

noahsark1126

Re: bizarre wireless problems with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper

wow, I can't believe I didn't find that post before.  I looked all over for a solution.  Anyways, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  Wireless working now...

Board footer