You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-31 17:16:35

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

[SOLVED] Can ping, but can't browse

I've suddenly fallen into this issue.

From a moment to another, on my other machine in my LAN, I was able to ping, but not to browse the web, or connect to IM.

My current setup is Networkmanager and wifi (using a cable doesn't make any difference though). My ISP provides its own router, where I cannot access the settings page.
I have also tried to change the DNS to OpenDNS, with no result.
So I can ping google.com, but cannot browse the web (not even with elinks). I can also ssh (locally) into the box succesfully.

All I'm looking for is some suggestion about where I should look for the problem, because so far I'm very confused.

Thanks for your time smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-08-31 17:24:08

kjon

Re: [SOLVED] Can ping, but can't browse

sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#3 2008-08-31 17:29:30

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks, but that doesn't help.

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#4 2008-08-31 17:34:55

kjon

maybe you're suffering packet filtering. Have you paid the ISP bills? big_smile
Does ftp work for you? or maybe POP?. Have you tried a livecd of whatsoever distro?

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#5 2008-08-31 17:41:12

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

The ISP tech left an hour ago or so, and he told me everything was fine (even though I didn't feel very confident in his competence).
FTP works, and I haven't got any mail client to try POP, but checkgmail works fine (I think it's based on ATOM feeds though). I still have to try a LiveCD, I might have a go with some Ubuntu or similar out-of-the-box distros.

Have you Syued today?

#6 2008-08-31 17:53:08

moljac024

Have you tried disabling that dreaded networkmanager ? Restarting the router ? Restarting the machine a few times ?

Plugging things out and then back in ? A ritual dance perhaps ? smile

Who knows what may bare results wink

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-08-31 17:53:43)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#7 2008-08-31 17:54:02

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Of course! I've been trying that for 2 days now!

Have you Syued today?

#8 2008-08-31 17:55:31

moljac024

A ritual dance didn't cut it, eh ? Dang, it's a tough one!

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#9 2008-08-31 20:38:05

kjon

Sorry to hear that. If a ritual dance and a vudu 'router-doll' didn't work for you, I'll be starting to set your goddamned router on fire.

It looks a ISP issue. Here in Chile, when I'm connected through 3G, I lose the connection when is raining sad

#10 2008-08-31 20:39:42

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Funny that the ISP guy told me it was my system configuration to be wrong. It is truly puzzling, since my other machine connects just fine.

Have you Syued today?

#11 2008-08-31 20:40:30

haxit
Website

Lol here in Canada, I have DSL and I lose the connection when it rains :S

** STUPID PHONE LINES **

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#12 2008-09-01 05:37:39

INCSlayer
Website

are you using avahi?
because what you are describing sounds alot like what happened to me when i was trying to use avahi
or well it works on my main machine but if i configure the other ones for it they exhibit the same symptoms
that your machine does.
if you are using avahi then change /etc/nsswitch.conf
from
hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
to
hosts: files dns
and see if it works of course this makes avahi not work but i rate internet>avahi

Last edited by INCSlayer (2008-09-01 05:38:22)

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#13 2008-09-01 06:08:34

SiC

Just to let me clarify, you are saying that there are two machines on your local network (i.e. both behind the router), of which, one is consistently able to obtain network connectivity, the other however, has intermittent connectivity. Assuming that this is correct, and that both machines are connected via ethernet, rather than wireless, the issue is local between the router and the machine with poor connectivity.

I am assuming that you have tried reconfiguring the entire network settings.  Have you tried swapping the cables connecting the two machines over and seeing if that replicates the issue?

#14 2008-09-01 09:38:09

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

INCSlayer wrote:

are you using avahi?
because what you are describing sounds alot like what happened to me when i was trying to use avahi
or well it works on my main machine but if i configure the other ones for it they exhibit the same symptoms
that your machine does.
if you are using avahi then change /etc/nsswitch.conf
from
hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
to
hosts: files dns
and see if it works of course this makes avahi not work but i rate internet>avahi

That was it! Thanks a lot! big_smile
But the strange thing is that I have that entry on this machine, and it creates no problem whatsoever.

Going back to what the tech said, I was very skeptical because when I showed him that the machine was pinging google.com, he said my issue was the 20% packet loss I was having in that moment: you can't browse the web with 20% packet loss! Of course it doesn't work! hmm

SiC, I did try with a cable and swapped it between the two. It worked on one machine, not on the other, same config. The network was fine, no connection problems, the only thing was that I could ping google, use ftp, and ssh, but couldn't browse the web.

Thank you all for your help! smile

Have you Syued today?

Board footer