You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-02 02:38:37

tonyisnt

Gnome 2.22 panel weather applet frozen

OK, so I just took the dive and upgraded to 2.22 yesterday.  I originally tried to install everything months ago, shortly after it came out, but it made a few things behave weirdly and I just figured I'd save myself the mild frustration and go back to my old Gnome packages.

Yesterday I did my first -Syu in months as well (I know...).  I was going to just stick with Gnome 2.20 because I figured it'd be easier that way, but in the last few days I also had some pacman database issues (I know...), and basically, choosing to update just some things was getting pretty difficult and messing up some things.  So I just downloaded all the new Gnome packages and upgraded.

It really isn't that bad.  The problems I had before were worked out in a matter of minutes, I just didn't have the patience before.  Well, except one, which is really more of an annoyance: the panel autohide animations have been made slower, and being that I use my computer with only one panel, I want it to be there when I want it.  And of course I could disable the animations... but I want the best of both worlds!

That's not really a problem.  The one problem I do have is also panel related, though, and it's the weather applet.  Basically, it just doesn't work.  It doesn't spit out any errors at me, but it doesn't show me the weather, which is the very point.  My panel just sits there waiting for it to update, but it won't.

screenshot524.png

I've tried reinstalling a variety of packages, such as gnome-applets, gnome-panel, libgweather... and probably a few more.  Any ideas?

#2 2008-09-02 16:44:28

mauud777

Re: Gnome 2.22 panel weather applet frozen

What's the font are you using right now in gnome please  ??

Last edited by mauud777 (2008-09-02 16:47:09)

#3 2008-09-02 17:10:08

tigrmesh
IRC Op

#4 2008-09-02 20:54:52

tonyisnt

@mauud777: It's FreeSans Medium, size 8.  I have it set as both my Application font and my Document font.  I believe it's just supposed to be an Arial clone, but from what I've found Arial doesn't look quite the same in application.  And assuming you like it, I agree that it looks much better than the default font Gnome uses.

@tigrmesh: I hoped this would work, but no luck.  My timezone in rc.conf is America/Detroit, so this is what I set in the clock applet.  Didn't work.  Unlike some people in that thread, though, my weather applet isn't working, which leads me to believe it's a problem in getting the weather information.  For anyone who didn't understand, the double hyphen (--) shown above in my panel is my weather applet.  I'd use either the one included in the clock or the weather applet itself, but neither are working.

Last edited by tonyisnt (2008-09-02 20:55:30)

#5 2008-09-04 05:02:09

tonyisnt

For the record, if I could get weather working in conky, for instance, I wouldn't care.  The main reason I've liked the weather applet, though, is that it will give me the weather for later in the day and for the next several days, not just for right now.  Of course I could just go to weather.com or something, but this was just easier.

So.....
Let's say I just go with conky.  I'd want to have the following: the current weather, the weather for the rest of the day/night, and probably the weather for tomorrow.  Bonus for a cute little graphic (if even possible), but not necessary.

I've seen a lot of .conkyrcs and scripts to configure weather, but I've never taken it all that seriously.  If someone could walk me through it that would be awesome.

#6 2008-09-04 16:22:18

alex_anthony

Seeing as you're now on GNOME 2.22, the clock should be able to do the weather. Try setting your location and turn on the weather in the preferences of the clock applet.

#7 2008-09-04 18:42:51

tonyisnt

My timezone in rc.conf is America/Detroit, so this is what I set in the clock applet.  Didn't work.

I appreciate your advice, but please read the whole thread.  Getting the clock applet to display weather correctly was what the thread linked above was about.  Neither the weather applet or the clock applet fetches weather for me.

Board footer