You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-02 00:24:33

fideli

slow network router behind dsl

Hey everyone,

I am behind an SMC7004VBR router with an SiS 900 network adapter.  The router is connected to a DSL connection.  My download rates are extremely slow for this sort of a connection.  The IP addresses are delivered via DHCP.  Windows computers on the network experience no problems, with or without the Linux computers hooked up, with connecting at optimal speeds.  I have read a few forums on the topic, and they've mentioned that IPv6 might be the issue, but I don't have that compiled in my kernel.  I just set up another Arch box, and the same problem exists on that computer as well.  Even a simple pacman -Sy (in the case of the new machine) does not go through.  It starts at around 16 KB/s, and then it stalls soon after. 

Another (maybe related) problem is when transferring between Windows and Linux computers on my network.  Using Samba in KDE, I can download from the Windows computer at 800 KB/s, but upload the same file at 15 KB/s.  This is not a large problem, so the main thing is to get the Internet conneciton working.  Does anyone have any insight?  Thanks in advance.  If there's anything else I could include, let me know.

-\ fideli /-

#2 2004-09-02 04:22:23

colnago

Re: slow network router behind dsl

I have the same smc router and a k7s5a that uses the on-board sis900 w/o problem. Check your cat 5 cable, maybe there is a problem with it and the transfer rate has been bumped down.  Swap with the windows one to see.

Also, try dmesg and see if there is any info. 

I used to 'ifconfig eth0 del ...' to get rid of the ipv6 stuff, but I don't anymore and there does not seem to be a problem. 

did you look at mtu and stuff from ifconfig?  Maybe your windows box has been tweaked for the dsl and the arch one is still at 1500.

Try  'cat  /proc/net/dev' to see errors, dropped packets, etc.

#3 2004-09-02 04:48:52

fideli

checked the cable on both computers, no problems there.

colnago wrote:

did you look at mtu and stuff from ifconfig?  Maybe your windows box has been tweaked for the dsl and the arch one is still at 1500.

That never came to mind, to be honest.  I've only had that set by rp-pppoe when my computer was connected to another dsl modem directly, without the router.  I'll look into that, though, just in case.

colnago also wrote:

Try  'cat  /proc/net/dev' to see errors, dropped packets, etc.

nothing but received and transmitted bytes and packets here.

-\ fideli /-

#4 2004-09-02 19:30:42

colnago

Maybe the autosense is off, check out this thread for setting tx rate by hand...

http://www.edlug.ed.ac.uk/archive/Oct2003/msg00079.html

#5 2004-09-07 02:43:12

fideli

would i be able to specify the media via dhcp though?  i tried bringing up eth0 manually using the same ip address, broadcast, and subnet as the dhcp set up, but it didn't work.

-\ fideli /-

#6 2004-09-08 16:48:32

colnago

You should just be able to do this w/o changing dhcp.  Tyr just this:

ifconfig eth0 media 100baseT

..also you could try this...

ifconfig eth0 media 100baseT mediaopt full-duplex

I think you can just put these options on the line in rc.conf, as it just appends to the ifconfig on boot.  If you run into a problem, try adding an ifconfig line to rc.local.

Edit:  It looks like the second one does not work but the media one does for me.

Board footer