You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-16 18:33:36

cschep
Website

Network Configuration; how do YOu do it?

Hello laptop users.

I've gotten my wireless connected using netcfg, or manually, so that's nice. My ethernet works just fine too.

But, when I boot up and I'm not connected to ethernet, I have to wait forever while it looks for that and it fails to connect. Then I run netcfg manually to connect to my wireless network. Also, if I wanted to jack the ethernet in for whatever reason, I usually just reboot.

What is your "workflow" for connecting your laptop. I would love a way to know how to switch between the two connections if they both active, and how to not have to wait on boot, can it know there is no cable connected and not sit and wait for dhcp?

I'm sure there is a slick way to do this, so I figured I'd ping the laptop users out there...

also, so you go to a new coffee shop and you want to get online, do you just make a new netcfg profile? do you use something like gnome network manager?

thanks for the thoughts!

#2 2008-09-16 18:41:46

Cosay
Website

Re: Network Configuration; how do YOu do it?

I have a desktop that connects only via wireless. What I did what comment out the ethernet lines in rc.conf and add the commands to connect wirelessly to my hub in rc.local. I'm probably doing something wrong, doing it this way, but my Arch box doesn't complain about it.

#3 2008-09-16 19:05:49

bdheeman
Website

cschep, Cosay:

Please learn to do things in Unix/Linux way, you need to reboot Unix/Linux machines; just change the settings in your /etc/rc.conf and, or /etc/config.d/wireless and run:

sudo /etc/rc.d/network restart  #just restart the network (interfaces, resolver and routing)

Balwinder S Dheeman
http://werc.homelinux.net/

#4 2008-09-16 20:02:27

Hohoho

For wireless I use networkmanager, and if the network doesnt support dhcp I just use ifconfig.
Networkmanager really lacks the features to customize profiles for different access points.

#5 2008-09-17 01:17:52

Profjim

Look into ifplugd. It's a daemon that polls for a live ethernet wire plugged into your computer. When a wire is plugged in/removed, it will run any script you supply. I have my script call netcfg2 to bring up the ethernet connection. If you want, you could also add a line there to take down any conenctions on your wireless interface. When the script is called because the wire is removed, you could tell it to run netcfg-auto-wireless or something.

#6 2008-09-17 05:17:39

iphitus
Forum Fellow

bdheeman wrote:

cschep, Cosay:

Please learn to do things in Unix/Linux way, you need to reboot Unix/Linux machines; just change the settings in your /etc/rc.conf and, or /etc/config.d/wireless and run:

sudo /etc/rc.d/network restart  #just restart the network (interfaces, resolver and routing)

/etc/rc.local is fine. It's a desktop, its probably not moving anywhere.

Further, you can run /etc/rc.local any time you want - no reboot is required.

erm, netcfg ++

#7 2008-09-17 20:46:04

cschep
Website

Profjim wrote:

Look into ifplugd. It's a daemon that polls for a live ethernet wire plugged into your computer. When a wire is plugged in/removed, it will run any script you supply. I have my script call netcfg2 to bring up the ethernet connection. If you want, you could also add a line there to take down any conenctions on your wireless interface. When the script is called because the wire is removed, you could tell it to run netcfg-auto-wireless or something.

Hey that's cool. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I never even thought to disable the network daemon on startup and just manage everything through netcfg, that's probably extremely obvious to most.

Thanks for the advice, I have a nice little setup using netcfg with profiles for home and my favorite coffee shop. smile

and the network daemon disabled. smile

#8 2008-09-18 21:51:20

alienman

You can put your daemon to work on the background by adding @netcfg in your daemons line.

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#9 2008-09-19 05:59:59

Dheart

iwlist wlan0 scanning
iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#10 2008-09-19 07:04:44

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I use Network Manager for wireless and wired. All my wireless networks use DHCP, and if I plug in the wire, NM automatically connects to that in preference to the wireless. Works a treat smile

Board footer