You are not logged in.

#26 2008-09-19 17:27:25

dmz
Website

Re: Music library growing too large...

Daenyth wrote:

wine foobar2000.exe big_smile

Posts like this shouldn't be tolerated. It's like those puppys migrating to linux and first thing they ask is "How can i run MSN Messenger in Linux". They just dont seem to understand that there's a lot of alternatives to windows software, and in most cases, the alternatives is way better then the "native" ones.
There's no sense in running things like an simple music player with wine. Come on people. Things like this really makes me sad. sad

#27 2008-09-19 18:30:25

luciferin

GogglesGuy wrote:
luciferin wrote:

And to derail this thread a little bit: does anybody know of a linux music player that doesn't use a database?  Just adds files from your directories ala Foobar?

Why would that matter? It's not something you would notice how a program stores its data...

Two reasons:
1) Personal preference.  My music is all organised into folders already, any database that is made of it is redundant and confusing.  They way I play back the speed gain from it unimportant.
2) I have two music folders, one is lossless CD rips and the other is all Vorbis/MP3 for my portable, ampache and downloads.  They have a lot of duplicates that make a mess in any program that tries to sort them.

But it's not that big of a deal.  I've managed for this long.

#28 2008-09-19 19:30:34

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

dmz wrote:
Daenyth wrote:

Posts like this shouldn't be tolerated. It's like those puppys migrating to linux and first thing they ask is "How can i run MSN Messenger in Linux". They just dont seem to understand that there's a lot of alternatives to windows software, and in most cases, the alternatives is way better then the "native" ones.
There's no sense in running things like an simple music player with wine. Come on people. Things like this really makes me sad. sad

I have a wonderful business selling brand new sarcasm detectors! As your current one seems to be broken, would you be interested in buying one? smile

#29 2008-09-19 20:48:12

dmz
Website

Daenyth wrote:
dmz wrote:
Daenyth wrote:

I have a wonderful business selling brand new sarcasm detectors! As your current one seems to be broken, would you be interested in buying one? smile

haha, yeah, sure. I really hoped that it was sarcasm, but I wasn't sure. I've been attacked all day by ubuntu newbies that wants to run MSN Messenger native in linux, so I guess I could blame them. I'm sorry. smile

#30 2008-09-20 17:16:52

Renan Birck
Website

I use Amarok, but have been trying mpd. Too bad that Sonata, here, seems to leak a lot of memory (it uses 100MB+ after a few hours, while Amarok uses ~70MB and stays on this for hours). sad

luciferin wrote:

And to derail this thread a little bit: does anybody know of a linux music player that doesn't use a database?  Just adds files from your directories ala Foobar?

I think XMMS or Audacious would fit your needs nicely.

#31 2008-09-26 12:27:08

Rasi
Website

dmz wrote:
Daenyth wrote:

While I agree and use linux apps exclusively i still run foobar2000 from time to time.. Sorry to say, but there is nothing in linux that can keep up with what foobar offers. MPD does most of the playback part (tho it cant handle cue files), but foobar's power comes from its unlimited flexibility by using a simple and small scripting language which is integrated in UI, tagger, renamer, everwhere... Also it allows you to sort your music the way you want. You like database based players? fine.. foobar does it. You like to play files by directory structure? no problem, foobar does it.

The only player that roughly shares this ideals is Quodlibet, but compared to foobar2000 its a ressource hog and slow.

But yea.. for simply playing music mpd and the like are great alternatives.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer