You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-26 11:06:04

Berseker

[SOLVED] What is the equivalent of Ubuntu's /etc/network/interfaces...

Hi all

I've on one of my machines a Sis900 Network Adapter, and with Ubuntu installed on that pc, i had to insert the line

hwaddress ether 00:00:00:00:00:01

in the file /etc/network/interfaces for allowing the system to see the eth0 in the ifconfig list, and so enabling the network too.

I'm now trying to install Arch on that PC (or better, on a pc with that motherboard where that adapter is mounted), and now I've got the same problem. I'm pretty sure i can fix that like I've done in Ubuntu, but i wonder where i can write that setting.. maybe in /etc/conf.d/bonding ? can you confirm this or give me an hint somehow? thanks in advance

edit
i managed to set the hwaddress with ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:01 and now the network is operational. Now I'm looking for making this effective at every reboot...

Last edited by Berseker (2008-09-27 07:04:59)

#2 2008-09-27 04:39:36

somedrew

Re: [SOLVED] What is the equivalent of Ubuntu's /etc/network/interfaces...

You can define it in /etc/rc.conf  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf#Networking
cheers,

#3 2008-09-27 06:28:24

pelle.k

Or if you want something more advanced;
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

i managed to set the hwaddress with ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:01 and now the network is operational. Now I'm looking for making this effective at every reboot.

Put that in /etc/rc.local

Edit; you might try putting it at the end of /etc/rc.conf, since it is a script really (as well as a configuration file), and also since rc.local is executed *after* all the daemons are executed. I figure you have to have that command run before the "networking" daemon is run?

Last edited by pelle.k (2008-09-27 06:42:30)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2008-09-27 07:00:42

Berseker

first of all, thank you for your answers..

yes pelle.k, I've to run that setting before activating the network script (or at the same time at least).. I managed to do this following the rc.conf way, but I don't understand why sometimes the network scripts fails, some others the script fails but the setting is correctly applied, some others the script is done correctly and the setting too.

BTW, I think I can write [SOLVED] on this thread title. Thank you very much for your help!
cheers

#5 2008-09-27 18:16:52

pelle.k

but I don't understand why sometimes the network scripts fails, some others the script fails but the setting is correctly applied

It's one of those mysteries of the universe wink
Seriously though, it's probably just buggy drivers (or sometimes it can be a buggy router). Justa quick note regarding placing commands and such in rc.conf, it's probably not that ideal after all, since it's imported everytime a script (say a daemon) wants access to those settings, so maybe your better of putting that (if it *has* to be run before daemons) in /etc/rc.multi. It's a bit hackish, but it works.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer