You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-10 06:36:11

xardias

Resume on Lan Signal after pm-suspend

Hi!

I plan to use my old Laptop as some kind of media server. I will have it suspended (to ram) via cronjob if no one is logged in and want to wake it via LAN.
Suspending is not the problem, but how can I do the wakening? I have not much knowledge about the pm-suspend scripts and the whole acpi stuff on linux. So it would be nice if someone could give me some hints smile

thanks!
Dennis

Last edited by xardias (2008-09-10 06:36:54)

#2 2008-09-10 15:24:28

filou.linux

Re: Resume on Lan Signal after pm-suspend

What you want is called "Wake on LAN". But I dont know if you can do that over wireless lan. AFAIK Linux is not involved in reactivating the Laptop, you need to set that in the BIOS. Once your Laptop is configured to Wake on LAN, you need an Application to send the laptop the Command to wake up.

You should start by reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN. If you accomplish any progress or have further questions, don't hesitate to post! I got to do some reading on that topic as well. Hope this helps.

#3 2008-09-28 12:38:21

xardias

Re: Resume on Lan Signal after pm-suspend

Thanks for your reply.

My laptop does not seem to support wake on lan, so this will not be possible to achieve. It does not even have options to configure wakeup via keyboard. Maybe I will replace the power button with a self made switch that I can place on top of my desktop, the laptop is old.. so warranty is not an obstacle wink.

Board footer