You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-30 08:52:29

Narrator

Can't get PPPoE to work

Hello to all. I recently installed Arch Linux in virtualbox (under Windows XP). I have a PPPoE connection (username + password) that obtains my IP and DNS addresses automatically. I have tried both the pppoe-setup and pppd methods but couldn't get my connection up and running. Can anyone help me with this? I really want to try a stable system (Arch) with good looks (KDEmod). Thank you.

#2 2008-09-30 15:53:17

Farbror.Fainted

Re: Can't get PPPoE to work

I don't think you have direct connection to your interface under a VirtualMachine thus unable to establish a pppoe connection since XP handles that..

Check your logs for errors (plog should show you the latest output of pppd)

#3 2008-09-30 16:55:05

Narrator

I'm sorry I don't know where plog is. I've only used Ubuntu (dual-boot) for a few months and never really checked any logs. I don't mind working with the terminal. I just need a little help.

Btw, ifconfig shows my Ethernet (eth0) and Local Loopback (lo). The Ethernet part is right (I think) but shouldn't the rest be "ppp0" instead of "lo"? Thanks for replying.

#4 2008-09-30 18:09:50

Farbror.Fainted

Well, pppd binds eth0 to ppp0 on a succesful connection..
lo is only for local loopback connections and is necessary for many linux components to work..

but still the virtualbox only sets up a virtual network card under XP, so to get network connection I believe you must setup internet connection sharing for XP..

To search log files for pppd do:

grep pppd /var/log/*

Did you have PPPoE working under Ubuntu?

You may want to try different network modes such as bridged or physical connection if possible.

Last edited by Farbror.Fainted (2008-09-30 18:14:44)

#5 2008-09-30 19:38:51

Narrator

That command spits out a lot of junk. Something about connection timing out. If you need anything specific, I'll look for it.

Yes, much to my surprise setting up a PPPoE connection on Ubuntu was easier than XP.

I think you're right about the network modes. I may need a bridged connection (I've only heard about it... don't really know how it works).

#6 2008-10-01 04:01:37

Farbror.Fainted

If it says timeout it does not get a response from a PPPoE server, and that is why you are unable to setup that connection.

If you install Arch on a "real" machine it probably will be very easy to setup the connection.

Play around with network modes, bridged mode should work, but try to disconnect the link in XP first, it may interfere.

#7 2008-10-01 08:20:43

Narrator

Well, I tried bridged connection and still, it was a no go. When booting the system it says Starting Network and then it shows

err, eth0: timed out
warn, eth0: using IPV4LL address 169.254.129.5

and then keeps loading the modules and stuff. Did I get the bridging wrong? I mean I created the VirtualBox Host Interface, selected the Host Interface from the dropdown menu and then bridged the VirtualBox Host Interface with Local Area Connection. Isn't that how it's supposed to be done?

Strange thing is I booted OpenSUSE and LinuxMint inside VirtualBox and they both had internet automatically (this was before the bridge).

#8 2008-10-02 08:10:23

Narrator

Anybody got an idea?

Board footer