You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-02 07:00:40

NewsAndHistory

"Partition Hard Drives" section of wiki-BeginnersGuide (please update)

Suggestion about "2.7.1 Partition Hard Drives" section of the Archlinux "Beginner's Guide":
Whoever has privileges to edit the Archlinux Beginners Guide, please edit that section by adding steps, which users must take in order for them to know how to set up partitions with the latest version of Arch? And please add a short tutorial about dual-booting in your Beginner's Guide.

Last edited by NewsAndHistory (2008-10-02 07:06:57)

#2 2008-10-02 07:53:04

SkonesMickLoud
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: "Partition Hard Drives" section of wiki-BeginnersGuide (please update)

AFAIK anyone can edit the wiki.  You just have to have an account.

#3 2008-10-02 07:59:13

molom
Website

I would rather have one of the Arch staff edit it. They made the wiki and I would want it at the same quality they've always had.

#4 2008-10-02 08:29:56

NewsAndHistory

I understand what both of you mean. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me & others, who are concerned about this online-community & it's visitors, who may decide to set-up a dual-boot with this Linux distro & a different operating system.

I'm 1 of many potential-users of the Archlinux distro, and I'd appreciate a decent tuturial with instructions made for those, who need to set-up a dual-boot with ArchLinux & WinXP.

Thanks for your quick-responses/comments.

#5 2008-10-02 08:35:36

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

molom wrote:

I would rather have one of the Arch staff edit it. They made the wiki and I would want it at the same quality they've always had.

There's no such thing as "staff" in Arch - it's community based. Therefore the quality is whatever the community (read: you, me and everyone else who uses Arch) make it. "They" didn't make it - the community made it and continue to make it.

NewsAndHistory: if you don't believe the wiki is accurate or up to date, you can make your own account and edit it yourself as you see fit. If others do not agree with your changes, it can be discussed on the "talk" page of that wiki article smile

Last edited by fukawi2 (2008-10-02 08:35:56)

#6 2008-10-05 23:16:02

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

NewsAndHistory wrote:

Suggestion about "2.7.1 Partition Hard Drives" section of the Archlinux "Beginner's Guide":
Whoever has privileges to edit the Archlinux Beginners Guide, please edit that section by adding steps, which users must take in order for them to know how to set up partitions with the latest version of Arch? And please add a short tutorial about dual-booting in your Beginner's Guide.

The steps are covered quite well in that section.
Dual booting is also covered in the wiki: Read the wiki.

#7 2008-10-05 23:43:01

dsr

The dual booting wiki page suggests an 8GB /root partition. It's very bad practice to have a separate /root partition since the root account won't function in the case of mount problems. wink The author clearly meant an 8GB / partition, but this could be confusing to the uninitiated. Also, I think Arch documentation should specify whether 1GB refers to 2^30 (1073741824) bytes or 10^9 (1000000000) bytes, and whichever one is chosen should be used consistently throughout the wiki (or at least specified in each article that deals with partitions). I prefer the former for consistency between swap and RAM, but either one is better than inconsistency.

#8 2008-10-06 01:22:36

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

dsr wrote:

The dual booting wiki page suggests an 8GB /root partition. It's very bad practice to have a separate /root partition since the root account won't function in the case of mount problems. wink The author clearly meant an 8GB / partition, but this could be confusing to the uninitiated.

Fixed. In the future, don't just point out the error, feel free to fix it! wink

#9 2008-10-06 01:46:21

dsr

Thanks for fixing it. I never feel comfortable correcting what I believe to be errors in wiki pages in case I don't understand correctly what the author intended. Also, and more importantly, I couldn't remember my wiki password off the top of my head. lol If the wiki used the same account as the bbs...

Board footer