You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-05 12:14:37

samwise
Website

Help creating a torrent file [SOLVED]

I'm trying to create a torrent of photos I took on a holiday so my friends can download it. I've googled and looked at a few tutorials but now I'm stuck.

I open up KTorrent, click 'New', choose the zip file, and add "http://open.tracker.thepiratebay.org/announce" as a tracker, then save the torrent file and email it to my friend. But it shows up as inactive, with 0(0) seeds and 0(0) peers.

I've used bittorrent to download linux isos before but never created a torrent. I could just burn a CD but I wanted to learn new skills smile Am I going about this in the right way?

Last edited by samwise (2008-10-07 11:01:15)

"He was perfect except for the fact that he was an engineer"

#2 2008-10-05 13:05:56

bangkok_manouel

Re: Help creating a torrent file [SOLVED]

samwise wrote:

I'm trying to create a torrent of photos I took on a holiday so my friends can download it. I've googled and looked at a few tutorials but now I'm stuck.

I open up KTorrent, click 'New', choose the zip file, and add "http://open.tracker.thepiratebay.org/announce" as a tracker, then save the torrent file and email it to my friend. But it shows up as inactive, with 0(0) seeds and 0(0) peers.

I've used bittorrent to download linux isos before but never created a torrent. I could just burn a CD but I wanted to learn new skills smile Am I going about this in the right way?

chose to add a new torrent in your BT client (like you would do to start any download) and select your torrent file. then chose the target download directory as the directory where your file is. Your BT client will consider the download to be done (it is as your file is complete) and therefore you'll be a seeder. That should do it.

#3 2008-10-05 22:57:38

samwise
Website

bangkok_manouel wrote:
samwise wrote:

chose to add a new torrent in your BT client (like you would do to start any download) and select your torrent file. then chose the target download directory as the directory where your file is. Your BT client will consider the download to be done (it is as your file is complete) and therefore you'll be a seeder. That should do it.

I checked the box for KTorrent to start seeding immediately - it has been seeding.

#4 2008-10-06 01:33:43

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Wonderful that you found the answer.  Please mark this thread as solved.  That way, others who want to seed torrents can find this thread easily.  Thanks.

#5 2008-10-06 11:00:36

arew264
Website

Uh, DID you find the solution? That last post was unclear.

#6 2008-10-06 12:10:47

tigrmesh
IRC Op

samwise wrote:

I checked the box for KTorrent to start seeding immediately - it has been seeding.

#7 2008-10-07 11:00:46

samwise
Website

Sorry, I'll make a clarification - its status was 'seeding' but the upload speed was zero, and nothing had been uploaded.

HOWEVER, I left it open for about 20 minutes and it did start working. Success! I will mark this as 'solved'. I think it just takes a little while to find each other with 1 seed and 1 peer...

Last edited by samwise (2008-10-07 11:02:02)

#8 2008-10-07 13:55:14

ilovefridge

It's possible it didn't work for a while because your port wasn't forwarded. If it is forwarded correctly I don't know why it should take so long. hmm

Also, I believe both uTorrent and Azureus can act as their own trackers rather simply. I know they are both rather bulky (considering you have to use wine for uTorrent), but then you wouldn't have to upload to piratebay! Not sure I would like my holiday snaps on there! I know you will only seed for a short time, but still! lol

Glad it worked out though!

Board footer