You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 03:31:10

dav7

Long-term storage solution

This isn't "immediate", per se, and won't be "soon". I'm still at the lots-of-planning stage here with this, so you don't need to get into a race or anything to quickly help me before I make my decision tongue just so you know.

Now, for my question: what would make a good, long-term, backup/archival system that isn't read only?

I want something fast (so not tapes), long-term (so not hard disks) and not fragile (so probably not CDs). What else do I have available?

I could use CDs if something akin to the CD changer one finds in more elaborate hi-fi systems and car stereos existed for data discs - so, therefore, a device that was equivalent to a clean-room environment and could hold like 500 discs. One that accepted standard 5.25" burners would be awesome, because I could switch it to bluray once prices went down and popularity and Linux support went up tongue

I'm basically looking for something that lets me access data like 10 years after storing it, maybe make a couple of changes, etc. 10 years would be the absolute maximum I'd probably need though tongue

Oh, and the medium I want to use needs to scale high. Very high. Into the order of more than a decent amount of TBs... like, say, 40 or 50. Of course that nice, round figure wouldn't pop up out of nowhere the day I have my plans in order, it'd grow - slowly - over time. So not only do I need something scalable, I need something that can scale slowly.

So kinda like a NAS or external HDD type of solution, except one that doesn't use failure-prone media like HDDs. Unless there's a kind of hard disk out there that doesn't fail very "easily" and lasts in an order of years?

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-10-08 03:34:28)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#2 2008-10-08 04:09:40

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Long-term storage solution

Will 50,000 CD's be OK? Link 100 of these units together...
http://www.imation.com.au/products/disc … /index.htm

Last edited by fukawi2 (2008-10-08 04:10:09)

#3 2008-10-08 09:46:15

dav7

Oh, right. I forgot one important point: the process needs to be automated. The method suggested above works great except it, like, can only hold the CDs. It doesn't have the capability to read or write them.

I mentioned the term "CD changer" for a reason - the CD changer doesn't hold the CDs and, when it's time to change discs, eject the disc and expect you to insert it into the playback device. It contains the mechanics to hold a collection of discs and play the one you want without more than hitting a button.

And, on another note, 50k CDs would be too much! CD-RWs can only be re-burned so many times before they give out.

To be honest, if CD media was all that good, I would probably go and get myself an enclosure, install some fans in it to keep the dust out, and mount a slot-loading CD-RW right in front of that changer's slot, so when the changer ejected, the disk ejected right into the CD-RW, and vice versa. It would work, but it would be slow, and... meh.  I guess that method could be a last resort.

I was thinking I could maybe get a good brand of hard disk, and keep an inventory of what I've bought and when, so I have an idea of when to test the disks for stability (say 1 year after purchase, and then every 6 months after that) and replace them as required.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-10-08 09:52:00)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--

#4 2008-10-08 09:51:50

Garns

I wouldn't write off harddisks that fast.

Afaik you won't get more than reliable two to three years out of burnable cds/dvds after that it comes basically down to luck and with that much data you are talking about the chances of failure are high. With the right storage, a harddisk should be able to last at least this long, when you give it a spin at least every year. Furthermore disks are relatively cheap and easy to handle.

The numbers are taken out of my head, based on an article about long term archiving I read recently, so they might be slightly wrong. But I clearly remember the gist, that even with high quality DVDs you will have to recopy every other year.

Of course it always comes down to the question how much you are willing to invest. I bet there are some really good commercial grade archiving systems out there, which I have got no clue about, if you can afford one of those is another question.

Edit: Just saw your second post, if you want the data to be readily avaiable (no swapping of disks/tapes) you should probably go for harddisks and you might want to read this article

Last edited by Garns (2008-10-08 09:55:01)

#5 2008-10-08 11:29:50

molom
Website

dav7 wrote:

Oh, and the medium I want to use needs to scale high. Very high. Into the order of more than a decent amount of TBs... like, say, 40 or 50. Of course that nice, round figure wouldn't pop up out of nowhere the day I have my plans in order, it'd grow - slowly - over time. So not only do I need something scalable, I need something that can scale slowly.

So kinda like a NAS or external HDD type of solution, except one that doesn't use failure-prone media like HDDs. Unless there's a kind of hard disk out there that doesn't fail very "easily" and lasts in an order of years?

-dav7

I believe there is nothing that exists in the world, unless you pay huge money for Solid State Hard Drives. The only solution I see is using a bunch of rewritable double layer Blu-ray discs. I don't think there is any proper solution for what your looking for. Your looking for the perfect that doesn't exist.

#6 2008-10-08 13:37:43

Garns

molom wrote:
dav7 wrote:

-dav7

I believe there is nothing that exists in the world, unless you pay huge money for Solid State Hard Drives. The only solution I see is using a bunch of rewritable double layer Blu-ray discs. I don't think there is any proper solution for what your looking for. Your looking for the perfect that doesn't exist.

I'm not sure how long SSDs will last and I don't think there is any reliable information out there, wether an SSD I plugin now will still work in ten years. Plus you would need one hell of a lot SSDs to store Terabytes of data. BlueRay is probably worse than DVD regarding reliability, until the manufacturers get more experience with them.

Am I the only one to see a pattern with dav7 opening threads looking for things which don't exist?

Last edited by Garns (2008-10-08 13:39:29)

#7 2008-10-08 14:00:31

Ramses de Norre

A giant RAID array.

#8 2008-10-08 15:33:44

moljac024

Ramses de Norre wrote:

A giant RAID array.

+1
No other solution...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#9 2008-10-08 15:39:03

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#10 2008-10-08 15:40:36

skottish
Forum Fellow

A friend of mine works for NetApp and levels of redundancy that have built into everything is amazing. No matter what you do redundancy is key.

#11 2008-10-08 17:06:12

dav7

Am I the only one to see a pattern with dav7 opening threads looking for things which don't exist?

sad it isn't my fault my brain got teleported back from the year 2187! tongue

Okay, so, no SSDs or blu-ray discs, that makes sense.

Amazon S3's rack storage probably wouldn't take too kindly to my duplicates of triplicates anyway (my data is a mess atm, I need to sort it out but to sort it out I need space first tongue) and I in turn wouldn't take kindly to having to buy my data out of archival. I'll bet that in 20 years everyone will be doing that sort of thing anyway...

NetApp... interesting. hmm

So it looks like a managed RAID array, then, with a monitoring program perhaps.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-10-08 17:08:17)

--

#12 2008-10-08 19:45:21

Profjim

Or why not rethink your need for speed? Could you use a combination of tape for storage and a big hd for caching the part of the data you need quick access to?

#13 2008-10-08 22:36:36

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

#14 2008-10-09 04:48:10

toxygen

this is a great topic, thanks for the interesting questions and replies.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#15 2008-10-09 11:38:45

SiC

I'd go with the RAID array. Raid 10 should do nicely in fact.  Get a separate box, plug in say 4 1TB SATA HDDs, then setup a raid array.  If you set them up to RAID 10 then you will have 2 disks mirroring the others. If one disk fails (unlikely) then you can replace it with another one, and the data will be rebuilt.  So you will have 2TB of reliable storage.  If you install Arch on the box and use LVM, then should you run out of disk space or whatever, you can add another RAID mirrored set using new disks to the LVM and the storage will increase again.  Once you run out of space for disks, then you can simply create a new box and do the same, or backup the data and buy bigger disks.

Board footer