You are not logged in.

#26 2008-10-14 00:13:31

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Resizing/Removing partitions & problems that follow

void.pointer wrote:

The LVM article on the Archlinux wiki wasn't really helpful to me, is there a more dummified tutorial out there? I know I need to backup everything you told me to, and then prepare an Archlinux install CD. However, I'm not sure what needs to be done before installing archlinux in regards to setting up LVM.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=LVM+guide
I found the ArchWiki on LVM made sense; basically, before you start setup (with /arch/setup), you need to configure your LVM setup. Then in setup, you skip the "partitioning" stage and go straight to "Set file system mountpoints" and direct it to use the mount points.

Then in the config stage, make sure rc.conf and mkinitcpio.conf are both set to use lvm.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2008-10-14 00:14:14)

#27 2008-10-14 04:35:28

void.pointer

So everything went well until I got to the "Install Bootloader" step in /arch/setup. At that point, I was given a chance to review the GRUB configuration file. I noticed at the bottom it said that 'root' was "DEVICE NOT FOUND".

I noticed above in the tables in the comments, /dev/sda was not shown, which would be (hd0,0). Why isn't it showing up? I did lvcreate for both my 2GB swap partition and my 10GB partition for root "/".

below is how my GRUB config looked:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   DEVICE NOT FOUND
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-lvolroot ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Notice how "resume" (for SWAP partition) was not provided above. Is my SWAP too small maybe? I set it to 2GB, and my SWAP was made via lvcreate. There was also one for "Arch Linux Fallback" that was DEVICE NOT FOUND as well.

Last edited by void.pointer (2008-10-14 04:45:52)

#28 2008-10-14 05:00:04

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Did you select /dev/sda to install Grub to or the LVM device (/dev/mapper/root)?

#29 2008-10-14 05:03:58

void.pointer

fukawi2 wrote:

Did you select /dev/sda to install Grub to or the LVM device (/dev/mapper/root)?

I selected /dev/sda1, since that's the regular partition I created for /boot, as the instructions said that GRUB cannot boot from LVM. /dev/sda2 is the second partition, of type "Linux LVM" that uses up the rest of the physical space, and I use this partition for LVM It's about 230GB. The /dev/sda1 is about 100MB.

::EDIT::
During the bootloader install process, after the config, it gave me the option between /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. Not sure why it gave the first option.

Is it okay that the /dev/sda1 partition is of type "Linux"? That was the default that fdisk gave it.

Last edited by void.pointer (2008-10-14 05:51:01)

#30 2008-10-14 05:31:29

void.pointer

Could the problem be that /dev/sda1 doesn't have a filesystem? I used fdisk to create the /dev/sda1 partition, but never made a filesystem for it. fdisk was the only thing I did.

Is this a problem?

#31 2008-10-14 06:34:44

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Not sure... I always just install to the MBR of the disk (/dev/sda) as opposed to an individual partition...

#32 2008-10-14 06:37:19

void.pointer

fukawi2 wrote:

Not sure... I always just install to the MBR of the disk (/dev/sda) as opposed to an individual partition...

So you're saying you don't create a partition for GRUB? Where does your /boot go? Don't I have to have /dev/sda1 as a Linux partition for GRUB's /boot?

I went to ALT+F5 and it's trying to set 'root' to "DEVICE NOT FOUND", even though I explicitly changed it in the file to be (hd0,0). Not sure why this is happening. What else can I do? I followed the steps in the wiki's LVM article exactly, and it isn't working.

#33 2008-10-14 14:50:53

void.pointer

I created a thread here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56963

This follows up with this specific issue. This thread doesn't really have a primary topic, and it's getting a bit cluttered, so I thought I'd start a more focused topic. Thanks to everyone for their continued help.

Board footer