You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-20 03:24:18

Blice

Torifying the computer.

Hi!

I was wondering how I should go about setting up my network to always go through TOR so I don't have to set it for every application..?

I use netcfg for my network configuration.

Thannk you!

#2 2008-10-20 04:48:20

peets
Website

Re: Torifying the computer.

#3 2008-10-20 05:08:25

Blice

Meh... Is there anyway to set up my network to go through a proxy? That's all I need to know to be able to tor it.

#4 2008-10-20 12:35:08

peets
Website

I found this in the Arch wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pro … nd_Privoxy with a search for 'proxy'. Gotta love the wiki.

#5 2008-10-20 13:43:35

Blice

peets wrote:

I found this in the Arch wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pro … nd_Privoxy with a search for 'proxy'. Gotta love the wiki.

Yeah, that's to get the proxy up and running so you can forward traffic from individual applications through it- I.E, through firefox's proxy settings. However I want to make it so *all* of my TCP/IP traffic goes through the proxy via my network settings somehow.

#6 2008-10-20 15:54:09

toxygen

I dont think you can forward all traffic through privoxy/tor.    check the first couple of links above, and this link:

http://shellscripts.org/project/toraliases

that pretty much tells you all the software that *can* be torified.  I'm sure once you get down to lower level software (like the kernel) you start losing the ability to torify things.  I'm not very versed in how network topologies work but I think you can torify whatever is outgoing from your machine with the links already posted. 

Maybe you should tell us if there's some specific software that you can't torify.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#7 2008-10-20 17:29:21

Blice

toxygen wrote:

I dont think you can forward all traffic through privoxy/tor.    check the first couple of links above, and this link:

http://shellscripts.org/project/toraliases

that pretty much tells you all the software that *can* be torified.  I'm sure once you get down to lower level software (like the kernel) you start losing the ability to torify things.  I'm not very versed in how network topologies work but I think you can torify whatever is outgoing from your machine with the links already posted. 

Maybe you should tell us if there's some specific software that you can't torify.

The goal I'm trying to get at is having a "Tor button" in my desktop menu, so I can turn on/off tor for everything. If you can make your network go through a proxy then it would be possible. Perhaps I'll see if there's an option for a proxy in my router.

#8 2008-10-20 17:42:04

toxygen

Blice wrote:

The goal I'm trying to get at is having a "Tor button" in my desktop menu, so I can turn on/off tor for everything. If you can make your network go through a proxy then it would be possible. Perhaps I'll see if there's an option for a proxy in my router.

Off the top of my head, I think if you have firefox and other browsers set to use the HTTP_PROXY varialble, which affects (in my case) all kde apps which use that variable, that pretty much covers everything.  You would have to manually set any applications (pidgin, firefox, opera come to mind) to use the proxy, so there would be no real way of having a  "Tor button" unless that button sets/unsets the HTTP_PROXY variable.

Other than that I cant help you, sorry big_smile

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

Board footer