You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-15 02:45:35

houms

vmware server kernel 2.6.27

Good day archers,
I recently installed vmware 1.0.7 from Aur. I ran
/usr/bin/vmware-config-server-console.pl
afterwards, as the package suggested doing so. but upon trying to run it via alt+f2 command run box,
vmware-server-console
I assume that I need the any-any patch, but am not too clear on the specifics.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2008-10-16 14:48:25

Hydraulix

Re: vmware server kernel 2.6.27

Same issue here. Here's an error output.

patching file vmmon-only/common/vmx86.c
patching file vmmon-only/linux/driver.c
Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-ARCH/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27-ARCH'
make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to parent make rule.
  CC [M]  /tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
In file included from /tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/./include/machine.h:24,
                 from /tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:15,
                 from /tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/./include/x86.h:830:1: warning: "PTE_PFN_MASK" redefined
In file included from include/asm/paravirt.h:7,
                 from include/asm/irqflags.h:55,
                 from include/linux/irqflags.h:57,
                 from include/asm/system.h:11,
                 from include/asm/processor.h:17,
                 from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
                 from include/linux/list.h:6,
                 from include/linux/module.h:9,
                 from /tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:12:
include/asm/page.h:22:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from /tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/vmhost.h:13,
                 from /tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:71:
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function 'LinuxDriver_Ioctl':
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1626: error: too many arguments to function 'smp_call_function'
make[2]: *** [/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27-ARCH'
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-hydraulix/aur-vmware-server-modules/vmware-server-modules/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only'
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build vmware-server-modules package.
[root@blacksun ~]# vmware-config.pl default
Making sure services for VMware Server are stopped.

:: Stopping VMware Server                                                     [DONE] 

Configuring fallback GTK+ 2.4 libraries.

In which directory do you want to install the mime type icons? 
[/usr/share/icons] 

What directory contains your desktop menu entry files? These files have a 
.desktop file extension. [/usr/share/applications] 

In which directory do you want to install the application's icon? 
[/usr/share/pixmaps] 

You have already setup networking.

Would you like to skip networking setup and keep your old settings as they are?
(yes/no) [no] 

Do you want networking for your virtual machines? (yes/no/help) [yes] 

Would you prefer to modify your existing networking configuration using the 
wizard or the editor? (wizard/editor/help) [editor] 

The following virtual networks have been defined:

print() on unopened filehandle WFD at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 6908.
print() on unopened filehandle WFD at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 6921.
print() on unopened filehandle WFD at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 6908.
print() on unopened filehandle WFD at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 6929.
print() on unopened filehandle WFD at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 6940.
close() on unopened filehandle WFD at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 6942.
Do you wish to make any changes to the current virtual networks settings? 
(yes/no) [no] 

Please specify a port for remote console connections to use [902] 

:: Stopping xinetd                                                            [DONE] 
:: Starting xinetd                                                            [DONE] 
Do you want this program to set up permissions for your registered virtual 
machines?  This will be done by setting new permissions on all files found in 
the "/etc/vmware/vm-list" file. [no] 

Generating SSL Server Certificate

In which directory do you want to keep your virtual machine files? 
[/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines] 

Do you want to enter a serial number now? (yes/no/help) [no] 

:: Starting VMware Server                                                     [FAIL] 

The configuration of VMware Server 1.0.7 build-108231 for Linux for this 
running kernel completed successfully.

Last edited by Hydraulix (2008-10-16 14:49:40)

#3 2008-10-16 15:18:33

houms

Hydraulix,
I decided to dump vmware server and give esxi a try. Its a barebone hypervisor. Really nice. though it can be picky with the hardware, if you can get it up and running its a much welcomed improvement. anyway I wanted to run vmware server on a headless server, and was trying to remotely manage it using vmware console on my arch laptop, but I said screw it and installed esxi on the server, which is really a home built box,
AMD x2 64 +4200 socket 939
3 gb ram pc3200
2 WD 160GB SATA-II drives
It blows vmware server out of the water, though the only caveat is the Vi client is for windows only. they do have remote management via console commands too though for linux. It would be nice to have a vi client in linux. I tried running Vi under WINE in sidux, but I must be missing something because it throughs up an error. I assume its related to .net not being installed. If anyone has insight on this pleae do respond. Thanks in advance for your help.

Now Hydraulix
if you are just looking for a desktop virtualization software that will allow you to run different os'es on your current desktop os, I would strongly recommend virtualbox instead of vmware server, virtualbox is much leaner and runs much better in my experiences.

#4 2008-10-21 15:57:19

dninja
Website

I'm trying to migrate to virtualbox now but the problem is that one of the steps for moving an XP machine across means you need a working machine but as vmware is now dead I can't start the machine so can't start the migration.

I may try rolling back my kernel to a working one and doing it through that but it is a lot of hassle.

I also tried manually installing vmware 2 but that didn't work, it looked for lsmod in the wrong place then started up but didn't start the webserver, possibly other path issues. So I gave up. Any suggestions for migrating a vmware XP image to virtualbox without needing to start up the XP machine first are welcome.

#5 2008-10-21 16:12:53

houms

dninja wrote:

I'm trying to migrate to virtualbox now but the problem is that one of the steps for moving an XP machine across means you need a working machine but as vmware is now dead I can't start the machine so can't start the migration.

I may try rolling back my kernel to a working one and doing it through that but it is a lot of hassle.

I also tried manually installing vmware 2 but that didn't work, it looked for lsmod in the wrong place then started up but didn't start the webserver, possibly other path issues. So I gave up. Any suggestions for migrating a vmware XP image to virtualbox without needing to start up the XP machine first are welcome.

you may be able to do it using the following :
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/ … _+_VdiTool

hope it helps. Let me know what you need.

#6 2008-10-22 14:57:24

Lazer
Banned

Albeit I would recommend trying vmware alternatives, as vmware is slow to update, here is the patch for vmware server 1.07 and vmware workstation 5.5.x (and any vmware product using interface 138)

http://www.insecure.ws/2008/10/20/vmwar … ernel-2627

#7 2008-10-23 02:31:20

Hydraulix

houms wrote:

Hydraulix,
I decided to dump vmware server and give esxi a try. Its a barebone hypervisor. Really nice. though it can be picky with the hardware, if you can get it up and running its a much welcomed improvement. anyway I wanted to run vmware server on a headless server, and was trying to remotely manage it using vmware console on my arch laptop, but I said screw it and installed esxi on the server, which is really a home built box,
AMD x2 64 +4200 socket 939
3 gb ram pc3200
2 WD 160GB SATA-II drives
It blows vmware server out of the water, though the only caveat is the Vi client is for windows only. they do have remote management via console commands too though for linux. It would be nice to have a vi client in linux. I tried running Vi under WINE in sidux, but I must be missing something because it throughs up an error. I assume its related to .net not being installed. If anyone has insight on this pleae do respond. Thanks in advance for your help.

Now Hydraulix
if you are just looking for a desktop virtualization software that will allow you to run different os'es on your current desktop os, I would strongly recommend virtualbox instead of vmware server, virtualbox is much leaner and runs much better in my experiences.

Right on. I've ran esxi at work along with a bunch of ESX 3.5 servers. I haven't tried out virtualbox, but since VMware usually breaks with every kernel update, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip. big_smile

Board footer