You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-15 21:44:52

yak8998

stupid storms

The power went out once or twice yesterday, and in the process took out 2 arch installs (I think). Both systems dual boot arch/XP, and I can still access the internet on XP. But not in arch. I'm starting with my main box, I'd like to get it running, than I think I can figure out the other one.

All settings are as they should be, or as they should've been before whatever happened happened.

NIC: Onboard realtek something or other
module: 8139too
eth0, only connection on computer
DHCP

lspci still lists the NIC.
ifconfig only lists lo.
dhcpcd eth0 will sit there all day until ctrl-c.
/var/log/messages says something along the lines of:
"net-agent: how do i bring the interface up on this distro?"
/var/log/kernel lists nothing, nor do any of the other log files as far as I am aware.
On the startup checklist dealy, it gives a fail for starting network.

where do I start? I've already tried turning everything off (modprobe -r, rm dhcpcd.pid, etc, reload from consule), doesn't do jack, same problem.

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#2 2004-09-15 22:04:54

xerxes2
Website

Re: stupid storms

ifconfig only lists lo.

this is not good.
are you sure you modprobe the right module?

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-09-16 02:31:58

steveed

A couple simple questions: is the nic listed in dmesg; are the nic's lights on;
At least if you can answer those you will know whether or not you need a new nic, if both are no then most likely it is bad.  If the lights are off, maybe the router/switch/hub or whatever needs to be reset or the cable just needs to be moved around.  I would also look at moving the nic to another pci slot, not that this is really any kind of solution, but I have had some luck with getting pci cards working by simply moving them.

#4 2004-09-16 04:42:30

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Both systems dual boot arch/XP, and I can still access the internet on XP. But not in arch.

He said they work fine in XP, but not in arch, so I doubt it is a hardware problem.
Did you run fsck after you started them up?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2004-09-16 11:47:28

steveed

Must have just ignored that part for some reason, still would be interested in what dmesg has to say. Or maybe even using the hwd program.
-Steve

#6 2004-09-16 14:26:42

robot5x

Did you definitely set eth0="dhcp" in rc.conf?
Do you need to run the dhcpcd daemon? I use dhcp, but just setting eth0 to dhcp in rc.conf works for me.

#7 2004-09-20 01:04:39

yak8998

I have the exact same settings I had BEFORE THE STORM that worked perfect. Modules, settings and all.

I'll reboot into arch later on and check dmesg. I'm assuming the lights work fine since I can access it from windows.  tongue

I just invested in a whole wireless G setup for the rest of the house, and its wonderful getting that working. I've had all weekend, and I've got 1 out of 3 computers going, and thats just in windows.
I'm starting to hate computers

Vaughan-Nichols

#8 2004-09-21 00:24:32

yak8998

wow, awsome update.

Get this -
I just said screw it, its probably going bad. So I went and bought a Linksys LNE100TX. I put it in, and booted up into arch. I noticed that on 'Starting Network', it had a big fat 'PASS'.
I get flux started, and lo and behold, the internet cometh. I didn't change anything, just installed the new card.
Any ideas how that works?  big_smile

Oh, and than the new linksys B+G wouldn't get recognized by my laptop (B card), so I uplinked my old B router to the G, just so I can have the laptop running wireless. Is there any advantage to having a dedicated B and G router?  tongue  My network is overly complicated.

Vaughan-Nichols

Board footer