You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-31 05:48:47

Zerathidune

rsync & svn incredibly slow

So I'm having issues with rsync (for use with abs) and svn. Essentially, they are both just extreemly slow, to the point that they are unusable.

if I try to manually grab a single package from abs, it takes at least five minutes. If I try to sync the whole abs tree, it hangs on "recieving file list" and never gets anywhere.

with svn, similarly, it is slow with small amounts of data, and with large amounts of data, it just gets stuck completely. I imagine it's possible some other protocols may be affected, but I haven't discovered any. Also, tunneling through ssh fixes the problem, but that isn't always practical. I suspect it's not an issue with the way I have my machines set up, since I'm having this issue on three machines, two of which are running arch, and the other of which is running a freshly installed FreeBSD. However, the network admin claims that rsync is not blocked on the network, and that others are having no trouble using abs, so that would suggest it's not a problem with the way the network is set up. This leaves me without too many ideas as to where to look.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: Went home for the weekend, things work fine here, so it seems to be some issue with the network at school. Seems to work on the machines in the CS lab though. will investigate further.

Last edited by Zerathidune (2008-11-04 01:53:04)

Board footer