You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-06 23:20:23

rochus

ipsec/openswan setup help

Hi,

I'm totally new to the topic IPSec/OpenSWAN (and please don't tell me to use OpenVPN, I just want to get it working with IPSec/OpenSWAN). But I have problems even with the first steps, and googling around didn't result in an answer.

So, here's what I'm trying to accomplish: I have a server somewhere on the internet (static IP), and more or less two roadwarriors. I'd like to have both of them connect to the server via IPSec/OpenSWAN so that they might interchange data, or some other stuff (this is just for myself to learn more about VPNs). To test everything that's needed for this task, I'm trying to setup a tunnel between two of my desktop computers in my LAN here. Shouldn't be that difficult, but:

My computer right in front of me has a static IP address and gateway configured in rc.conf.
After installing openswan and following some tutorials the first thing I should do would be ipsec setup start, or /etc/rc.d/ipsec start - but this will drop my routing-table that was in use till then.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? Or what did I miss to do? As stated before I'm totally new to IPSec/OpenSWAN, so please be patient with me wink

Last edited by rochus (2008-11-07 18:39:29)

#2 2008-11-07 18:17:42

rochus

Re: ipsec/openswan setup help

I got some time to read and experiment some more, and the problem was because I had Opportunistic Encryption (OE) enabled. This is by default in arch, and to disable it, include the no_oe.conf file from the examples directory into your ipsec.conf file after the basic settings.

At the moment I'll leave the thread "un-solved" because there might occur some other problems during my openswan-experience that i'll post here (if there are any) to not polute the forum.

Board footer