You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-07 01:34:30

simongmzlj

Configuring wireless card to automatically go into Master mode.

I have a madwifi enabled card, and by using the older ath_pci/ath_hal drivers, I can get it to behave like an access point.
Typing these following commands into the terminal (based off of the instructions on this site: http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDoc … ccessPoint), I can create a new access point:

wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
iwconfig ath0 mode master
iwconfig ath0 channel 11
iwconfig ath0 essid test
iwconfig ath0 key 1234567890

It works, I can connect from another (after settings ips statically on both side), and I'd like to now set it up so the access point comes up on boot. However, wlanconfig, from the madwifi-utils package, needs to be run otherwise ath0 won't go into master mode. While I know how place the other commands in /etc/rc.config to configure the network at startup, I can't seem to figure out how to integrate the two wlanconfig statements in there. Can anyone help? Thanks.

#2 2008-11-07 11:08:01

byte

Re: Configuring wireless card to automatically go into Master mode.

You could try using a network profile. Install netcfg and take a look at /etc/network.d/examples/complete.example; you'll notice this section at the end:

# Commands to run at various stages of configuration
PRE_UP=
POST_UP=
PRE_DOWN=
POST_DOWN="some command"

And as a last resort you could do all your networking stuff manually in /etc/rc.local.

#3 2008-11-07 18:58:47

simongmzlj

Thanks for the reply. I ended up just writing my own rc script. Works well enough. Is it just my inexperience or is network configuring a little inflexible?

#4 2008-11-08 01:06:21

arew264
Website

It's flexible enough, it's just not designed for something like this. It's for connecting to networks, not hosting networks.
Good work with the RC script though, if it does what you want, who's to tell you you're wrong.

Board footer