You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-29 04:15:54

carzzz215

Smbnetfs "cannot allocate memory" problem

Hello all.  I've been trying to use smbnetfs for a while now but I keep running into the same problem.  Smbnetfs will start fine and mount my workgroup under /mnt/smbnet/  I can then browse to /mnt/smbnet, pick my workgroup and server, and play some of my music files on the share (a windows 2003 server).  However, if i try to play two files at the same time, I get a "cannot allocate memory" error in Thunar (i'm using xfce4).  This happens most of the time, although sometimes it does allow me to play more than 2 files.  I also get the "cannot allocate memory" error when I try just to enter other shares on either the same windows server or another.  I have not seen anyone else with this type of problem.  It can't be a memory problem because I have 2 gigs of ram and plenty of ram is free. 

If I mount the shares manually with "mount -t cifs //servername/share /mount/mountpoint", then everything works fine and I can open as many files I want at the same time and browse as many shares as I like.  However, I have many shares on many servers, and this is tedious.  I like the automaticness of smbnetfs.

Has anyone else ran into a problem like this before?

**Update**

Well I am still having this problem, and now I have run into another.  After smbnetfs starts and mount the workgroup, I can access my one file at a time as usual, but after awhile, when i try to access another file I get a new error in Thunar "Transport endpoint is not connected".  I tried to do some research on this and I found a bug on the Debian site with a similar issue (using Fusesmb).  There seems to be a bug in libsmbclient; although I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the first problem I've been having.  Interestingly enough, one way around this new problem that a few have suggested in the debian bug listing is to use smbnetfs.  Well, I'm using smbnetfs and still getting the same problem.

Last edited by carzzz215 (2008-10-30 04:13:34)

#2 2008-11-10 07:55:24

carzzz215

Re: Smbnetfs "cannot allocate memory" problem

Here's an update to yet another problem I am experiencing with smbnetfs.  Although here smbnetfs is being offered as a solution, it still doesn't work.  I've been in contact with the creater of smbnetfs and he is currently porting it to samba 3.2, but it will take a lot of work

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=497572

Board footer