You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-10 08:27:58

peque

Sharing a DVD-drive through NFS

Hey Forum.

I have a problem - that I would like to hear your openion on.
I have build my own MythTV setup at home - Using Arch.
For backend I have my Server placed in the garage - and using small Asus EEE b202 as frontends.
unfortunably those b202 doesn't have a DVD-drive, so normally I'll would use an external drive for that solution.

But is it possible to add an external drive to my frontends in the livingroom and afterwards share the drive using NFS to all my clients on the network. a little scenario:
The external drive is connected to the frontend in the livingroom.
I want to go to bed early and watch a DVD movie.
Placing the DVD in the external drive (mounted locally on the frontend in the livingroom)
The frontend in the bedroom have the drive mounted (using NFS) and can read the DVD from the bedroom.

I know the frontend in the livingroom  shoul be on ( But the ASUS EEE use so little power -so it's on all the time.) and I have GB-lan in my home - so the netwoprk speed shouldn't be the problem - but is it possible to make this procedure automaticly - so it's the drive that are shared and not the DVD-movie!

Hopefully I've explained this correct - otherwise please feel free to ask for other information or questions. Is it possible at all to do this trick!

Just getting better .... All the time

Board footer