You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-25 02:23:42

skoal
Website

your favorite dynDNS clients?

Howdy,

I'm setting up a dynDNS client, but want to know which ones you prefer or have had experience with.  Also, I currently do not see any dynDNS clients listed in Arch repositories (or maybe my keyword search just wasn't good enough).

Anyway, here's a few one's I've seen from dynDNS.org:

ddclient
JIP Update
RunDNS
DNS Update
ipcheck
UpdateDD

* I think I like the JIP Update client (with extensions) the best from what I've read.

Anyone have any experiences setting up a dynDNS client on linux? If so, here's basically what I'm looking for:

I have a T3 connection at my residence, and although I will be running several servers off my local machine, I would like to be able to "throttle" bandwidth usage coming in to my IP (in case of heavy loads), so as not to piss off my ISP.

Any suggestions?

thx.

#2 2004-09-25 10:06:44

morphus

Re: your favorite dynDNS clients?

[morphus@smilla etc]$ pacman -Ss ez-ipupdate
extra/ez-ipupdate 3.0.11b8-1
    A small utility for updating your host name using dyn.dns services.

It does everything I need

#3 2004-09-26 00:49:27

skoal
Website

morphus wrote:
[morphus@smilla etc]$ pacman -Ss ez-ipupdate
extra/ez-ipupdate 3.0.11b8-1
    A small utility for updating your host name using dyn.dns services.

It looks good.  I gave it a shot and have it running as daemon.  The docs are sorely lacking but website says it auto updates IP with dyn.dns server?  I hope only when needed.  I did not see mention of that from sample config I got from /usr/share/ez-ipupdate directory, but website says it does.  Other apps I've tried have an option in config for that setting.

I like it.  Thanks for suggetion.

#4 2004-09-26 03:28:59

skoal
Website

morphus wrote:

I've tried others, but 'ez-ipupdate' is the best IMHO, so thanks.  Just a few questions tho:

1. In my config file (or by interactively launching and using command line parameters), is there a way to specify multiple hosts?  If, for example, I have "skoal.dyndns.org" and "morpheus.homelinux.net".  How do I make ez-ipupdate update those 2 hosts (if at all possible)?

2. What is this command line option for:

-g, --request-uri <uri>       URI to send updates to

Since I use "dyndns.org" as my dyndns provider, isn't it sufficient to just have "service-type=dyndns" in my config?  If not, what paremeter do I need to use so "ez-ipupdate" knows where to send update information?

3. Do I need to create "/etc/ez-ipupdate.cache.eth0" and make writable by non-root user, or is it just sufficient to use "cache-file=/tmp/ez-ipupdate.cache" in my config file?  I'd rather not make anything writable by non-root user in my "/etc" directory.

Thanks for info in advance.  This is a great GPL/open-source program, but not much fanfare in the way of documentation.  Their website "user contributed doc" section cannot find any of the .php pages.

#5 2004-09-26 06:43:05

kleptophobiac

I use ddclient... because it is first on the list and gives me no trouble.

#6 2004-09-26 09:49:53

skoal
Website

kleptophobiac wrote:

I use ddclient... because it is first on the list and gives me no trouble.

I tried out ddclient, but don't know how to setup multiple hosts.  I didn't see anything in their README file or by google hits.

For multiple hosts (using the same dyndns server, dyndns.org), using "ddclient" would I just add another entry in my config like:

server=members.dyndns.org
protocol=dyndns2
myhost.homelinux.net

and (for the second host)

protocol=dyndns2
myhost.mine.nu

as examples...

or would it be:

protocol=dyndns2
myhost.homelinux.net
myhost.mine.nu

* I'm a little confused about this process.  Basically, I'm ONLY using dyndns.org, but I have 2 hosts through that service, and both will use the SAME IP address.  I will use virtual web servers with apache since they use the same IP.

Any help is appreciated.  From looking at the lengthy perl script, I could not tell exactly how it will read the config file, so I don't know what format to use for my case.

I like ddclient since when my dhcpcd server renews, it will just call 'ddclient' and I don't have to run it as a daemon or a startup init service.  Plus, I can run it as a cron job just in case my IP doesn't change within 28 days (which is the limit on dyndns.org before account expiration).

thanks.

#7 2004-09-29 01:34:57

skoal
Website

For the most part, I figured it out.

Some notes:

1. The sample "ddclient.conf" file seems out of date.  For more accurate usage, you can type "ddclient --help".  But, in my case I had to dig a little deeper in the actual perl program.  In my case, it was a "simple" matter of using wrong delimitters (such as "", ",", and whitespace).

2. In my "special" case, since I do not use wildcards for both hosts (but only on one) and also for some other options unique to each host, I had to format my config file as such:

protocol=dyndns2,
login=loginname,
password=password,
wildcard=yes,
otheroptions=...,
myhost.homeip.net

protocol=dyndns2,
login=loginname,
password=password,
wildcard=no,
otheroptions=...,
myhost.dyndns.org

* Basically, you need at least two separate entries for each host.  You can combine all the entries together (separated by commas) and have the last line like "myhost.homeip.net myhost.dyndns.org" if you need to update multiple hosts, IF AND ONLY IF both hosts share the same settings, like MX, wildcards, etc.  In my case, they do not. 

** Moreover, you must begin each entry with the protocol option first.  If no "server=" option is specified, it defaults to "members.dyndns.org".  It will also use some other defaults if not explicitly stated.  But, the key was to start each entry with "protocol=", and not "server=".

Weird, but it works fine.  My usage of dyndns service may be unique, but if you need the customization for each host like i did, this is how you would do it.  Hope it helps.

Board footer