You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-23 07:43:56

trilog
Website

NFS freezing problems

Hi folks!

I've setting my NFS servers (FreeBSD) and Linux boxs (Arch Linux) to share files with NFS.

I have two FreeBSD boxs and everything work like a charm between them. I have spent many days to make thinks work, but Arch Linux (client) and FreeBSD (server) just don't want cooperate. Firstly I was confused why my Arch Linux box freezes after some time when NFS share was mounted, then I realise that might be locking problem. So, I ran few locking tests and Arch Linux just don't get the lock while FreeBSD succesfully got it.

/etc/rc.d/nfslock seems to be starting rpc.statd only, why? I can't find anywhere in my Arch Linux box rpc.lockd, so where is it?

FreeBSD: 6.3
Arch Linux: 2008.06 x86_64 (2.6.27)

-trilog

E: Subject changed.

Last edited by trilog (2008-11-23 13:32:37)

#2 2008-11-23 12:02:20

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: NFS freezing problems

From the NEWS in the nfs-utils tarball:

rpc.lockd is gone.  Only old kernel releases need it.

This happened in the 1.1.0 release.

And from the README in the tarball:

When nfsd starts it will start lockd. If lockd then receives a lock request it will communicate with statd.

On my (linux) server, ps ax | grep lockd shows [lockd] running after nfsd is started. This is a kernel process.

I haven't used FreeBSD, so I can't say why this isn't working for you. You might get some help on the linux-nfs mailing lists or IRC channel.

#3 2008-11-23 12:41:20

trilog
Website

Re: NFS freezing problems

Thanks for the info tomk!

I have tested to mounting my NFS share with nolock option, but it still freezes after some time. sad So in my opinion it's not an locking problem.

Freezing is randomly, so it can freeze after few minutes or not at all. When it freezes I have to kill my current user processes with root and then remount the NFS share. I don't think that the freezing is related what I do when it freezes – it just freezes randomly. Logs does not show any information about this.   

Does anybody know what mount options I have to use to mount FreeBSD NFS share? My another Linux box does exactly same, but any of FreeBSD boxes does not freeze. So FreeBSD does something differently than Linux. Linux to Linux NFS is working good.

E: Okey, now 'ps ax|grep lockd' shows the lockd process, I don't know why it wasn't running before reboot. Now locking works, but freezing is my main problem now.

I appreciate yours help.

Last edited by trilog (2008-11-23 13:54:42)

Board footer