You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-28 19:04:15

arew264
Website

PPP and Networking

This is somewhat of a crazy question, so almost any response would be appreciated.
I have an Arch box connected to a TV in my house that is far from any ethernet connection. It runs DDR, but I'd like to connect it to my network and do a pacman -Syu to get the new nVidia drivers and pull a few files off of it. I don't want to move it because it's a pain to get it connected to the TV, but I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to hook it directly to the network. I do, however, have a different arch box that is connected to the network, a very long phone cable, and an abundance of old PCI modems that were never used.
Is there any way I could set up a basic PPP connection to get even a slow network connection?

#2 2008-11-28 20:19:28

moljac024

Re: PPP and Networking

arew264 wrote:

This is somewhat of a crazy question, so almost any response would be appreciated.
I have an Arch box connected to a TV in my house that is far from any ethernet connection. It runs DDR, but I'd like to connect it to my network and do a pacman -Syu to get the new nVidia drivers and pull a few files off of it. I don't want to move it because it's a pain to get it connected to the TV, but I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to hook it directly to the network. I do, however, have a different arch box that is connected to the network, a very long phone cable, and an abundance of old PCI modems that were never used.
Is there any way I could set up a basic PPP connection to get even a slow network connection?

What about being practical with this and buying a long enough ethernet cable ?
You'll thank yourself later wink

Or you could download the packages you need with your already-connected-to-the-internet Arch PC and transfer them with USB/CD to the TV box and install off that...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2008-11-28 20:35:56

arew264
Website

Re: PPP and Networking

What fun would that be?
I know there are better ways to do it, I really just need something to tinker with (while GCC fails to cross compile itself over and over and over).

Board footer