You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-30 17:49:53

tranquility

Pacman IgnorePkg not really ignoring?

$ sudo pacman -Su
:: Replace gtk-smooth-engine with gnome-themes from "testing"? [Y/n] n
:: gcc-3.4.1-2: ignoring package upgrade (3.4.2-1)
:: glibc-2.3.3-2t2: local version is newer
:: xapps-20040912-1: ignoring package upgrade (20040920-1)
:: xorg-11R6.7.0-1: ignoring package upgrade (11R6.8.1-1)
:: Above packages will be skipped.  To manually upgrade use 'pacman -S <pkg>'

Targets: gcc-3.4.2-1 grip-3.2.0-3 id3lib-3.8.3-3 unixodbc-2.2.9-4

Total Package Size:   23.3 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n]

Err I'm kinda sleepy right now, but this doesn't look a proper way to handle the gcc package since I have it ignored in pacman.conf. Why did this happen? Some new funcionality I haven't heard? Maybe it's a dep of the other pkgs? And if so, why this behaviour?

#2 2004-09-30 21:18:51

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Pacman IgnorePkg not really ignoring?

this is probably not intentional... have you submitted a bug report?

#3 2004-09-30 21:49:45

sarah31
Website

well i had a package listed in my ignore section of pacman.conf .... then i realized after that package was upgraded that i had forgotten that i had upgraded pacman which had included a manditory replacement of my existing pacman.conf with a new one (yes they were very different). obviously i had forgotten to check the instalation output to know this and as a result my ignore was .... well not ignoring.

moral of this story is ... when uopgrading read your output especially if pacman is one of the packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-10-01 01:03:43

apeiro
Daddy
Website

What happened was that pacman saw that id3lib depends on gcc>=3.4.2 so it pulled in the new gcc anyway, so it could upgrade id3lib.  Currently version-specific dependencies override IgnorePkg on a --sysupgrade.

Probably not the expected result though... The other option is to ignore the id3lib upgrade and any others down the dependency chain.

Would you guys prefer that?

#5 2004-10-01 17:33:13

thegnu
Website

You know how alsa has specific comment lines above and below the changes it makes to a config file (I think modprobe.conf)?  Would it be mega super mondo easy to implement an area of the pacman config file that pacman would cat onto the EOF of the new config file on upgrade?

It's a pain in the ass to have to reconfigure the Repos I'm using and the packages I'm holding back everytime I upgrade pacman.

Why not just add at the end of the pacman file:

#----DO NOT EDIT THESE COMMENT LINES!---
#----Anything below these comments will be
#----retained on pacman upgrade

And if there's a major change in pacman that changes the syntax of things, don't cat the configurations on, and issue a warning on upgrade.

fffft!

#6 2004-10-01 21:55:17

tranquility

apeiro wrote:

What happened was that pacman saw that id3lib depends on gcc>=3.4.2 so it pulled in the new gcc anyway, so it could upgrade id3lib.  Currently version-specific dependencies override IgnorePkg on a --sysupgrade.

Probably not the expected result though... The other option is to ignore the id3lib upgrade and any others down the dependency chain.

Would you guys prefer that?

No but it would be nice to be notified about the "abnormal" behaviour. Something like: 'Package X upgrade is necessary due to package Y upgrade, but it seems it is ignored in the config file. Really upgrade? [Y/n]"

Board footer