You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-15 23:46:19

mohtasham1983

Losing data in manual partitioning

Hi,

I just downloaded the 64 bit version of ArchLinux that comes with FTP installation. I also bought a new computer that will be delivered to me tomorrow. This computer comes with Vista. That's why, I want to keep it for playing games.

I was wondering if I resize the windows partition by ArchLinux partition manager manually, I would lose any data on the windows partition?

I have installed Ubuntu many times for my friends and know that in ubuntu I don't need to worry about losing data when resizing a partition.

I would really appreciate if someone confirms that resizing a partition will not erase data in that partition using ArchLinux.

Thanks

#2 2008-12-16 00:18:16

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Losing data in manual partitioning

I just installed Arch on my new Laptop with Vista, keeping Vista as a dual boot machine...

The *one* thing I like about Vista - it will allow you to resize the Vista partition from within Vista itself (Microsoft making it easier to install Linux?)

Go to:
- Control Panel
- Administrative Tools
- Comptuer Management
- Disk Manager
- Right click on the Vista partition and click resize (or shrink, can't remember)

It resizes the NTFS filesystem, and the partition, then you're good to boot the Arch installer and just make sure you don't touch the existing partition (Don't use auto-prepare!)

To be safe, take an image of the disk before you install using something like Clonezilla Live (I have an archive copy of my resized Vista partition now, ready to be reimaged once Vista starts playing up)

#3 2008-12-16 00:24:30

mohtasham1983

Re: Losing data in manual partitioning

Great. Thanks a lot. Hopefully, Vista will do a good job at resizing the NTFS partition.

Board footer