You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-16 00:54:49

majik67

force mount nonexistent dvd drive

Hello all, So intro: The other day I pop in a dvd backup that has some files I need, now the dvd is not readable, no scratches or anything to the disk read surface. The dvd is just dead.  So what I want to do is to force mount the dvd and make an image and then try and sort through the files if at all possible. What I would like to do is:

sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd -o force,ro

and possibly create an image or what I am most leaning towards is dumping the image to a file and then analyising it later:

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/home/x/dvdrec.iso conv=noerror

but doing so gives me an error

dd: opening '/dev/sr0': No medium found

and of course the force mounting results in an error saying no media was detected...
Is there anyway to trick fstab into thinking there is a medium mounted there (like there is)
I have searched around the net trying to find some way to recover the files but have had no success. So I was wondering if what I said above would be possible and would work at recovering my files. Any other suggestions on recovering my data? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

#2 2008-12-16 02:49:47

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: force mount nonexistent dvd drive

Is the error with the Drive or the Disc? Have you tried another DVD Drive with the same disc? Different disc in the same DVD drive?

Sounds strange that a disc without physical damage "! just works"... Unless it was never burnt correctly in the first place. I'd be more inclined to think the DVD Drive is FUBAR.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2008-12-16 02:51:12)

#3 2008-12-16 03:37:08

majik67

Re: force mount nonexistent dvd drive

Nope no error with the drive (at least I dont think so), it reads other dvds perfectly fine, and before it read the dvds that I am trying to get it to read, I always run a data verification check after burning a disk and they always pass, then I try them just to double check.... I havent had a chance to try it on another dvd drive but I have arranged to use my friends computer to see if it works with his computer, if it does then the my drive is gone.... on the other hand if it doesnt work who knows. Another thing is that I have some other dvds from the same set that are perfectly fine, partly corrupt, and fully unreadable. I dont mistreat my dvds and I can see the burnt in data in the disk, but my comp just cant read it. Im at a loss. Possibly defective media? but that wouldnt explain why it worked before....

Board footer