You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 10:16:51

cerbie

Atheros fun - high latency, network daemon fails, LAN but not internet

PCLOS 2007 "just sees" my wireless card (Netgear WG511T, AR5001X+), and all works well. Ubuntu 8.10 and MEPIS 7.9.92 see the card, but refuse to actually work. It's like Win95 PnP all over again. Now, to Arch:

With ath5k (!ath_pci and !ath_hal ), my card is seen, and may or may not scan networks (usually not, but rarely did). It can be set to my home wifi LAN, and it will get an IP (same IP the card has had before). But, it will not so much as ping local boxes: network unreachable.

With ath_pci (!ath5k), my card is seen, and refuses to scan, until I give it a network (as in, if I bring it up with working network settings, it will magically see other local wifi networks to join). If I manually go through the wiki's steps (modprobe to be sure, set stuff with iwconfig, bring up with ifconfig, get IP...), it works, but with ~500ms latencies to boxes on the LAN (3MB/s with an open connection, though), and will not go out to the 'net! mad

So, in rc.conf:

eth0="dhcp"
ath0="dhcp"
wlan_ath0="ath0 essid L<anon> key <ymized>"
INTERFACES=(eth0 ath0)

# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

Reboot:
Network takes forever, and eventually I get:
ath0: Carrier status: device not found
On which, Google yields nothing (I can't find it in a log, and it went right by, so that not be a perfect quote).

So, I get booted up with a working eth0, restart network, and:

:: Starting Network                                                      [BUSY]
> Could not associate ath0 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check network is WEP or has no security
                                                                         [FAIL]

Google also yields nothing meaningful for wireless_timeout (like where it is set, FI).

Do I need to go with ndiswrapper, at least until the 'old madwifi' v. 'new ath5k' stuff gets sorted out; or did I miss something important? If I plug in a Ralink, it's all good (but the Ralink card is't mine).

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

Board footer