You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 08:42:13

fettouhi

[SOLVED-partly] Linux and no internet connection

Well, since mid November I have nothing but problems with my Arch Linux machine. I can't get any internet connection on that machine. I have a network at home with 2 windows machines (XP & Vista), a Windows 2003 server running as an Exchange server and DNS server and Domain controller and ps3, xbox 360 and Wii. The two windows machines run on a static IP, the ps3, xbox 360 and Wii run on dhcp. All machines run on LAN through a switch except the Wii it runs on wireless. Now my Arch Linux machine also runs on static IP set up as described in the installation guide via rc.conf, hosts and resolv.conf. As mentioned earlier since mid November I haven't been able to get any internet connection on that machine. I haven't changed anythnig in my setup on the machine or the network. when i start the machine for the first time during a day I actually do the get internet connection and network connection but if I restart then I lose it. I am not able to ping the gateway or the DNS server. I can get interrnet back again I turn off the machine and turn off the motherboard and let the machine cool off for 20 minutes. Then if I turn it on again I have internet again but if i'll have to restart then the problem reappears.
After two weeks with this issue I decided to get network card but that didn't help either I still had the problem. Then I simply bought a new machine (DELL Studio) and did a fresh installation of Arch and STILL the problem exists and it is driving me FREAKING CRAZY NOW!!! I tried to my machine on dhcp but still the same issue. internet on first boot, reboot no internet or network, shutdown machine and motherboard (unplug machine) --> internet again after waiting 20 minutes. None of my other machines running windows or the consoles have problems getting internet. I've tried to run distros on the machines (Ubuntu Live CD) but I have the same problem. I am very close to going back to windows and I REALLY don't want to (been using Linux since 2003) but this problem here is a show stopper/EPIC FAIL. I am very very happy with Arch Linux and really don't want to change distro either. I need suggestions now on what I can look for in order to find the problem. I've already changed network cards, bought a new machine and even bought new switch because we thought it might be the switch causing the problems (8 port switch) because turning off the switch would give me my internet back. Again it is only my Linux machine that is having the connection problems none of the other machines have those.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Kind Regards

André

Last edited by fettouhi (2008-12-19 07:27:01)

#2 2008-12-18 11:14:35

Super Jamie
Website

Re: [SOLVED-partly] Linux and no internet connection

Have you tried changing the network cable?

#3 2008-12-18 11:35:05

fettouhi

That is the only thing I haven't tried yet because I thought since I can get a connection upon first boot it can't be the cable but I am going to get a new cable this weekend and try that.

Regards

André

#4 2008-12-18 19:46:16

fettouhi

Well, it was the server anyway in the end. After doing some dianogstics on it and doing some recommended changes I got internet back and I can restart and everything.

#5 2008-12-19 07:33:38

fettouhi

Well, I celebrated a bit to fast after 30 minutes or so I lost internet connection but not by restarting. I didn't use the computer for like 30 minutes and when I did tried to open a browser nothing happended. I tried then to ping the gateway and the server but couldn't reach them. So I turned off the computer completely for 20 minutes and then I started again and chenged the DNS address from my server to the DNS addresses I get directly from my ISP. So I'm going around the server now and seems to work for now. This morning I could start the machine and restart it 2 times and every time I had internet. Hope this solves it for now, still don't understand what the problem is though.

Regards

André

Board footer