You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 17:57:43

Adriano ML

PPPd / PPPoE "lag" problem

I've been using arch linux for quite some time, but currently I'm trying to set up my modem in bridge mode.

It works fine, but there is one little issue. When I try to ping anything, the latency is perfect and there is no packet loss but it seems like fron time to time it just hangs. This hang whon't be noticed by the ping utility as a packet loss or greater latency, it will just stop for some time time and continue as if nothing has happened. It could be a sing that this is a software problem, and not my provider or the hardware.
I notice that too when acessing ,for example, any site fron my browser (even if the site has a 17ms latency!), sometimes it just hang on the loading for some time).

My machine has a nForce 4 chipset, the forcedeth module is loaded and the speedstream 4200 router/modem is directly connected to the eth0, the adresses are automaticaly assigned via DHCP and on Windows XP using RASPPPoE it works perfectly with no "lag".

This is my peer file:

#/etc/ppp/peers/brt

plugin rp-pppoe.so
# ro_pppoe_ac 'your ac name'
# rp_pppoe_service 'your service name'

# network interface
eth0
#login name
name "xxx@adsl.brt.net.br"
usepeerdns
persist
#Uncomment this if you want to enable dial on demand
#demand
#idle 180
defaultroute
hide-password
noauth

If anyone has some clue on this, just share your idea!

#2 2008-12-21 23:48:58

Adriano ML

Re: PPPd / PPPoE "lag" problem

welll.... never mind, I've upgraded the firmware of the modem and now I can port forward/use upnp as a router... but I still get this "lag" when using bridged pppoe over linux (lol pppoeol)

#3 2008-12-22 03:08:42

Super Jamie
Website

Re: PPPd / PPPoE "lag" problem

the 4200 is a great little device, best router i could find for speed and stability when i was working at a residential service provider

i've never tried doing pppoe from the desktop, but have always had them behind linksys wrt54g routers (running dd-wrt) with no problems

you can get dd-wrt images that load in vmware, perhaps see if they're using any different setup in the config files of that project?

personally, i think NATting off the router (as you are now, as i am with dd-wrt) is better anyway, it provides network management, and a good level of security, so you don't have to worry about a firewall on your own LAN boxes

Board footer