You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-22 12:31:03

zephyrus17

Need to port-forward: ports are closed.

I have a wireless linksys router WRT54GS, and I've set in it to forward port 51412 for my Transmission torrent application. But Transmission still says the port is closed. So I'm thinking there's a firewall that's blocking the port. The same thing is with my aMSN and port 6891.

How do I open the ports?

#2 2008-12-22 13:10:09

peets
Website

Re: Need to port-forward: ports are closed.

There's no firewall rules on a default arch install (as far as I know...). Are there many computers attached to your router? If so, how do you know which one of them the traffic gets redirected to? If you turn the computers on and off and use DHCP, the IP addresses assigned to them will change, so forwarding ports to your computer's current IP might forward traffic to another computer the next day.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL. The default firmware did not allow me to assign "static DHCP" (always give the same IP address to the same MAC address, i.e. always give the same IP address to the same computer), so I installed openwrt (your device is also supported) --wait, I actually installed X-wrt, a graphical front-end to openwrt-- which allows "static DHCP".

But uh if you have only a single computer I don't know what could be wrong. There are instructions for checking if you are running iptables (the linux firewall) in this wiki article.

#3 2008-12-22 13:20:12

zephyrus17

Re: Need to port-forward: ports are closed.

My computer always has the same IP of 192.168.1.118, so I believe there's no problem on that side. I think it should be the firewall. Well, it turns out that I have iptables. Is it safe for me to remove it?

Board footer