You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-23 19:48:11

mrmike503

X window system fails every time

I cannot boot via startx at all. I have an nVidia 7600gt, and I got nvidia configured to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and modified the script as said on the wiki. I have also gotten xorg set up as well, and still no luck. If anyone could give me a breakdown of how to get this X window system to work, since I can't seem to get it to work no matter how many times I reinstall it or Arch, it refuses to work.

When I run startx, which I configured to run just evilwm at the moment, it just loads a black screen with a cursor in the middle, mouse nor keyboard work, and that's it. I can't change to another window or anything. It just blatantly crashes my computer to a freezing halt. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#2 2008-12-23 19:50:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: X window system fails every time

mrmike503 wrote:

I cannot boot via startx at all. I have an nVidia 7600gt, and I got nvidia configured to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and modified the script as said on the wiki. I have also gotten xorg set up as well, and still no luck. If anyone could give me a breakdown of how to get this X window system to work, since I can't seem to get it to work no matter how many times I reinstall it or Arch, it refuses to work.

When I run startx, which I configured to run just evilwm at the moment, it just loads a black screen with a cursor in the middle, mouse nor keyboard work, and that's it. I can't change to another window or anything. It just blatantly crashes my computer to a freezing halt. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Have you created a .xinitrc file under your home which says "exec evilwm" yet ? If not, create it and then try. You getting a X cursor means that the X works correctly

I am not sure of the exact startup command for evilwm -- so you might have to look that up

About your mouse/keyboard not working, it could be something to do with the hotpluggin that was introduced. Search for those terms and you should find a bunch of threads on how to get around it.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-12-23 19:52:31)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer