dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: It's time to move on

ubuntu have ripped their logo off of the CARE NGO logo - cheeky buggers tongue

#27 2004-09-18 21:31:02

RedShift

To JGC: Altough it's sad you are leaving, it is your own choice and wish you alot of luck in the future.

I deeply respect the people who put so much work in this project. Without their work I wouldn't be able to pacman -Syu and have my system upgraded. Without them I wouldn't be running gnome-2.8 now.
Without them I would be lost in figuring out problems.
Without them I would have fleed to windows because every other distributions didn't like me.

These people have put alot of time/work/money in this, and should be applaused with a standing ovation.

:?

#28 2004-09-19 02:11:09

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

i have EXACTLY the same thing with with feedback on my hobby website - which is linked below - i get about 30+ visits a day - mainly form this forum and no-one EVER leaves a single comment, signs the guessbook, rates the downloads or screenies - or even posts questions!

it drives me INSANE!   :evil:

Same deal for me, I seem to get tons of hits, and yet a forum and blog remain virtually comment-less. Sometimes I think about taking it down altogether, as it would really appear that no one cares about anything I do...which may or may not be true, how am I supposed to know if no one tells me?

Also, JGC: Sorry to hear of your decision to leave our growing distro, best of luck with whatever you decide to try next.

Now my gripes about this stuff. If one goes and posts "Hey guys...I'm leaving!!!", one is obviously:
a) looking for sympathetic comments

b) hasn't truely convinced themselves to leave and hopes someone will either decisivly argue them into staying or flame them into leaving

c) they need some attention, and think it's a good way to get it

d) have had a good thing go bad on them, and want to let people know how they feel. The best example of this is when you give a 5 year old a toy, and they absolutly love it, play with it 24/7, their world revolves around it. Then suddenly, it breaks, no longer functioning the way they liked it, they see it in peices on the ground, and start crying because they'll never be able to play with it again, even if someone buys them another, it's simply not the same, and never will be.

In this instance, I believe D is the most likely case.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#29 2004-09-19 11:53:10

mctavish

Following up on the quote I made above, the Arch referenced on the Canonical website is actually the Arch source control tool, rather than Archlinux.

No conspiracy ... this time   smile

#30 2004-10-06 10:20:25

skoal
Website

JGC wrote:

I've been using archlinux for almost a year now, and it's time to move on now.  [...] I will quit developing packages for archlinux and look for another distro. Probably Debian again, or maybe some distro I haven't tasted yet.

You'll be back...they always come back...muahahahahahaahahah...

Other distros? I've "tasted" them all too.  I got a "spitbucket" full of distro CD's next to my computer.  Just one "bite" from my Arch CD, and I must tell you, polycarbonate plastic never "tasted" so sweet...

#31 2004-10-06 21:50:26

longhornxtreme

Yeah... you'll be back... you only other option for the same ease of use yet comlete customizability (and maybe not even ease of use) is gentoo... I tried a few of the more esoteric distributions once I switched to arch... and Arch is the reason I never touch windows anymore...

#32 2004-10-07 17:43:54

Moo-Crumpus

This is bullshit. You can adminster every linux distro like you want to do. The point is, you don't have to use and set up your linux like it was the year 1992.

I don't want to start a flame. If you are glad with that, stick to it, and be happy that you can waste your lifetime with configuration. Use your loved editor to set your linux up nd have all running the way you like it. Meanwhile, other distros have learned to offer it out of the box. I installed ubuntu some days ago, and found everything well configured and cleaned up. I had to change little, and every bit is well documentated. If you want to change a single bit, you can be sure there is a descritption about why debian did it this way, advice of how to replace the bit with another one you like to have instead. Deep thoughts where thought to give users this power.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#33 2004-10-07 22:14:03

yak8998

I'm just going to chip in and say I agree with what Sarah and Dusty say for the most part. You guys need to show your appreciation for the devs. You got this awsome distro to use, and what are the maintainers getting out of it? Not much at all. At least be a nice guy and everyonce in a while say 'thanks' or something along those lines.

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#34 2004-10-08 02:14:15

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I say, if you don't like arch, then use something else. There are definately plenty of distro's to use out there...over 200 I believe.
Check distrowatch.com if you like..lots of them there..

I like arch. It is simple, allows me power to config things the way I wan't, and doesn't "get in my way". Sure, some things take a bit longer, and are a bit harder, but I know what is going on. Arch has helped me learn things...and for that, I am forever grateful.
I can go get hand-holding software whenever I want. Simply put, right now, I don't want it.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#35 2004-10-08 17:36:52

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Thanks cactus; its as simple as you say it is... Use Arch if you like it. If you don't, use something else. If you can't find something else, make your own distro.

Telling us all that Arch isn't for you isn't going to convince us that it isn't for us. wink  Most of us have a bit of a brain and can decide for ourselves.

Dusty

Board footer