You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-08 19:16:58

robot5x

Bittorrent tracker?

Hi all,
I'd like to set up my own bittorrent tracker but it seems like linux is a bit of a poor relative in this area.
I know I can use bttrack.py from the bittorrent source, but is there a nice front-end that I can use. There's tons for windows and they all look good, but when I go to localhost:6969 all I get is a load of hashes! sad not very exciting.
I heard about bytemonsoon and phptracker but these projects seem to be dead.
Are there any bittorrent experts out there who can point me in the right direction?
THanks.

#2 2004-10-08 19:40:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

#3 2004-10-08 21:18:51

robot5x

Re: Bittorrent tracker?

thanks phrakture,
bnbtphp is definitely the kind of frontend I'm looking for...they say that the backend is faster than the python tracker which is interesting.
There's very little docs on there (for linux), but I'll try it out and report back!

#4 2004-10-08 21:54:39

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

bnbt looks cool to me as well, however it requires a backend mysql database.

the following would be better (server performance that is):
* throw all trackers into a "tracker" directory

* create a small python script (so as to take advantage of the existing bittorrent python library) that reads the dir and gets some info from each track, and outputs a static html file

* expose only this html file

* run the python script either as a cron job or when you republish a tracker... i.e. a script like:

#!/bin/bash
make_a_tracker $*
republish_static_html.py

#5 2004-10-09 21:38:02

enderst

might checkout azureus

#6 2004-10-09 22:51:44

oscar

enderst wrote:

might checkout azureus

that's a client, not a tracker.

and btw - why run a tracker yourself?
that's what friends are for ^^

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#7 2004-10-10 10:02:33

robot5x

Azureus is a client, but it also has an embedded tracker. However, it's pretty lightweight and not suitable for what I want to do...

@phrakture
Nice idea - I know when I tried the python tracker that all torrent info is stored in one file, like you say - dstate. All the info from this file gets published on localhost:6969 (or whatever) just as tracker stats, and not in a form where you can actually click and download torrent files. To get this done, you need to run a webserver yourself and make any torrent files you've created available as normal static files. This is the bit where your steps 2-4 come in. I haven't read enough yet to know exactly what happens at this point, but obviously there needs to be interaction between your webserver and the tracker - I'm not sure how bnbt handle this exactly, but I'll find out!
just running a tracker is not too demanding in itself - there's a guy from slackware on the bnbt forum who said that all their bittorrent iso releases are handled on an amd k6-2 550! It's when you start getting into fully functioning web pages with forums, etc., that interact with the tracker, that you get into real server load issues...
this is a really interesting area, I think - bt is one of the most innovative things to come around for ages, and if you have a (fairly) static ip and a webserver anyone can make anything they want available to a lot of people (if its not copyrighted of course)- thinking back to what napster/kazaa was like, they seems positively primeval!

#8 2004-10-25 14:27:36

robot5x

Hi all - just an update really, if anyone's interested...
I've finally managed to get a tracker up and running - and it's going pretty well...
after toying with a few, I settled on the bnbt tracker posted earlier. It's a c++ tracker which is fairly easy to set up, but requires a mysql backend....that' no problem since I'm running phpbb as well, but I finally settled on a variant of this - bnbteasytracker. It doesn't need a mysql database but works virtually the same way - it's very cool smile
I also found phpbttracker which is a nice simple php tracker.
It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be!

Board footer