You are not logged in.

#1 2002-10-01 19:27:44

elanthis
Website

Mozilla menu entry in GNOME

Hey,

Would people prefer that there by default be a Mozilla menu entry in the GNOME menues if Mozilla is installed, or that anyone who wants a menu entry will have to make their own?

What?

#2 2002-10-01 19:42:25

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: Mozilla menu entry in GNOME

Would it be in the mozilla package or a gnome package?

I don't care too much, but I'd rather not have an /opt/gnome/.../desktop directory on my machine if I don't have gnome installed.

#3 2002-10-02 13:40:44

elanthis
Website

Well, there are 4 ways to do it -

A) mozilla and other "popular non-gnome apps" drop a menu entry in /opt/gnome/share applications.

B) gnome installs an icon for it on its own, whether or not you actually have it

C) there is a simple little package that you can install to drop in the menu item.  Perhaps this single package could have menu entries for all "popular non-gnome apps", i.e. gnome-menu-entries or something.

D) we could come up with a place for storing menu entries.  menu entries and vfolders are an emerging freedesktop.org standard, meaning that kde/gnome/xfce/gnustep/etc will (or should) support loading the same menu data.  We could have a /usr/share/applications (or /usr/X11R6/menu, or whatever), and gnome/kde could merely install a symlink to that.  GNOME-apps would go in their own directory, kde apps in their own, and non-gnome/kde apps could put entries to the global location.  Just so long as we don't go pull a Mandrake or Debian (i.e., a menu entry for every existant app, shared across all desktops/wms) it should stay quite uncluttered/unbloated.  Only relevant, popular X11 apps should go in there, of course.

D is assuming we want menu entries for apps besides just Mozilla.  There are tons of non-gnome apps that I, and others, use in GNOME every day (at least, a lot of popular gtk-only apps, like gaim/gkrellm/xine/etc.), so I'd like to see a simple, non-bloated, standard of way of giving users these menu entries.  But that's me. ~,^  If that's not the way things are decided to go, I guess I'd recommend C for cleanliness.

What thinks ye?

What?

#4 2002-10-02 19:37:45

sarah31
Website

i have gnome installed but never use it. When I have booted into it I noticed blank menus. This was a bit of a surprise because in my debian/libranet days debian added all that poop to the menus. While this was nice there were a ton of entries in the menus that i never needed or wanted. persoanlly i have come to like being able to edit my own menus and i suppose if i knew what file to edit in gnome and i actually used gnome i would prefer to add the entries myself.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2002-10-02 19:47:08

elanthis
Website

Hmm, this would make a good case for choice C in my suggestions - you wouldn't have to install that package, and you'd get no menues.

Again, I am not proposing we do what debian does - every single app on your machine, even non-X apps, are required to have a menu entry in their system.  *shudder*

One thing to keep in mind is that gnome has sub-par menu editing.  It was just added in the most recent release, is still awkward, and adding sub-menues to the main menu is still buggy.  It's possible to do it all hand-editing .desktop files, but I don't know if that's an acceptable method for a desktop environment.

If we don't want mozilla there, tho, that's OK.  ^,^

What?

#6 2002-10-02 23:47:56

sarah31
Website

well like i say it matters not to me really as i don't use gnome nor do i even know how to edit its menus i would likely just use gkrellm with gkrellmlaunch if i was in gnome.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer