You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-30 10:11:18

lilith2k3

[solved]Problems with KPPP and Conection using my Cellphone (UMTS)

Hi guys,
i'm looking for help with my mobile Internet Connection.

I made a clean install of Arch including the packages for ppp and pppd.
After that i added

MODULES=(... ppp-generic ...)

and

DAEMONS=(... ppp ...)

in the rc.conf. Then i configured my Connection with KPPP (entering the AT-Strings etc.) but i couldn't connect to the Internet. At first i got some permission problems concerning several logfiles (messages, syslog) and so on and a logfile for pppd (pppd.log) was missing. So i temporarly chanded Permissions for my User Account and touched a new pppd-logfile. After that changes KPPP didn't further complain about those files, but i haven't got access to the Net neither. My Usersaccount is member of the group dialout (is this necessary at all?).

Would be nice if someone has a proper solution or a nice HowTo :]

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by lilith2k3 (2009-01-03 20:42:37)

#2 2009-01-01 12:07:50

lilith2k3

Re: [solved]Problems with KPPP and Conection using my Cellphone (UMTS)

*push*

#3 2009-01-01 17:05:17

mcover

You only need to start the ppp daemon if you put something in /etc/ppp/peers/provider.

The only time I used KPPP I simply couldn't succeed creating a connection - I suggest wicd if you still want to use a GUI (wicd has many presets for mobile carriers).

However, I suggest using wvdial - you simply need to configure /etc/wvdial.conf and then run wvdial - and optionally copy /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf (that can be automated by editing the ip-up script in /etc/ppp).

I don't know what carrier you use, but I'm sure there are some wvdial.conf settings for your carrier if you search for it.

Below is a section of my wvdial.conf:

[Dialer eplus-v1]
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.eplus.de","0.0.0.0"
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99#
Username = eplus
Password = gprs
Timeout = 120
Stupid Mode = yes
Idle Seconds = 500

And about dialout: only used when you set it up - see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … ith_wvdial.

EDIT: Just saw that you are from Osnabrück - don't know where exactly you want to create that UMTS connection, but if your carrier is using the E-Plus network (I'm with Blau) just copy and paste my wvdial settings.

Last edited by mcover (2009-01-01 17:10:47)

#4 2009-01-02 16:03:54

lilith2k3

I have to say it's not for my PC and i have to wait for feedback myself, but i'm going to report.
My acquaint doesn't mind, whether there is a GUI or not, but KPPP records the traffic and that's nice wink
At the moment i don't know, where to look - somewhere in /proc (if i remember correctly) was the actual traffic listed. If i knew where, i could perhaps write him a lil' BASH-Script that does the job of summing up the traffic.

But thanks for the moment :] I'll be back ...

Edit: He uses O2 to connect ..

Last edited by lilith2k3 (2009-01-02 16:59:17)

#5 2009-01-03 20:42:07

lilith2k3

Worx!

#6 2009-01-04 04:44:25

mcover

Good to know it works.

About traffic: I just start a simple "iftop -i ppp0" (iftop is in community) when I establish my connection - shows me totals and transfer-speed. But if you want a proper solution, I guess that would be vnstat (also in community).

Board footer