You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-26 12:49:19

rasmusx

Can't start Wicd

Hi!

I just did a fresh Arch install and also installed Wicd. I installed it with abs and made the changes needed in /etc/rc.conf. But when I try to launch wicd-client it just crashes. DBus and Wicd daemons are running.

[rasmus@X ~]$ wicd-client 

(process:6595): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 50, in <module>
    import wicd.gui as gui
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 2006, in <module>
    setup_dbus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 174, in setup_dbus
    proxy_obj = bus.get_object("org.wicd.daemon", '/org/wicd/daemon')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

I have already tried removing /var/log/wicd directory but that didn't help.

#2 2008-12-27 15:32:53

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Can't start Wicd

Are you sure you are starting hal (which requires dbus) before you start wicd? Don't background hal, make it load before you load wicd.
This is what I have:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network hal @fam @wicd @crond @smartd @openntpd @cpufreq @oss)

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2008-12-27 15:54:03

viga

use netcfg   It is really easy to use 

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Profiles

#4 2008-12-31 15:49:45

arch_nemesis

I just rebuilt my Arch system last night, and while Wicd gave me no problems the first time around, this time I found myself getting the same error as in the OP, and removing /var/log/wicd and restarting (as suggested here and there) didn't help...

In the end I got it working, but I don't know whether it will be of help.  I'm posting it here as the most recent wicd trouble thread, and maybe it will help the OP or others who run into this problem.

This advice may make no sense, but all I could think to try after searching around a bit was to try and figure out what I had done differently the first time I built Arch on this system -- and the only thing I had done differently was to test my wireless connection manually per the Wireless section of the wiki before fooling around with wicd.

From within that section of the wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless, the only thing I could establish as possibly making a difference was that I had installed the package wireless_tools as suggested at the very beginning of the procedure.

So, starting from a position of wicd not working, here's exactly what I did -- (I know that reboots may not strictly have been required, but I seem to get some weirdness in Gnome when I stop and start dbus, so I rebooted instead)

pacman -Rsn wicd

Undo all changes I had made to /etc/rc.conf when initially following the wicd wiki page.

Reboot

pacman -S wireless_tools

pacman -S wicd

rm /var/log/wicd/wicd.log (I suspect this file and directory were left behind despite using -Rsn to remove wicd)

rmdir /var/log/wicd

Edit /etc/rc.conf IAW the wicd wiki page

Reboot

It worked on the first try with no issues at all -- The wicd icon was in the notification area as soon as I logged in to GNOME.

I don't know whether wireless_tools actually made a difference, or if it was that I removed /var/log/wicd before ever running the wicd daemon for the first time, or whether it was something else, but at least it worked!

#5 2008-12-31 15:52:53

wonder
Developer
Website

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#6 2009-01-01 03:58:06

timetrap
Website

wonder wrote:

He probably skipped this during the install procedure.

#7 2009-01-01 13:17:51

arch_nemesis

^^^ Whoops, I'm glad you guys pointed that out.  I didn't even notice the locale error at the beginning of the output from the OP.

I didn't have that problem, I had everything below that, and specifically ending with  "dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files".  I don't think setting the locale is going to fix anything below the locale error part of hs output, as I was getting that error with my locale properly set.  (Fixed as noted above)

#8 2009-01-05 14:38:18

sinseq

I had the same problem, with the same error.  I deleted /var/log/wicd, too, but wicd wasn't working.
Installing wireless_tools solved the problem for me.
Thanks arch_nemesis

#9 2009-01-05 18:42:20

arch_nemesis

You're welcome, I'm totally thrilled that my suggestion actually helped someone out! 

(Sounds like I overcomplicated it a bit though if all you did was install wireless_tools.)

#10 2009-01-05 23:44:16

jaydoc

hi.. me too...!

I don't exactly know if it was reinstalling wireless_tools or what...! Actually this is my 3rd Arch Install in 3 weeks, first mine and then 2 of my friends. Each time I became more "proficient" than earlier and was tempted to cut swathe like a "pro"...! The result... wicd acted up like it did for you guys, though I did have wireless_tools installed before I did Wicd.

The problem, I suspect is that, I added wicd even before I had installed it, to the rc.conf, and also before hal without reading the warning that wicd gives us on install...! over-confident i suppose..!

Anyway, I did go by what thois thread said, esp arch_nemesis' answers, though I suspect just rearranging the daemon list to put wicd after hal, would have done the trick just as well.

i am just happy that others also had similar trouble and also posted their experience..! that is what I like about the arch community. It may be smaller than that of ubuntu, but it is equally, if not more, robust.

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

Board footer